Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Harassment and griefing don't always have to be relayed to cultural and social attitudes.The person can simply enjoy doing that to "p*ss people off". And the "recipient" can be be either male of female. Some enjoy creating problems on sims. Like I have experienced from a second ex (no one knows her here).

Just a quick response, in passing.

I think you are oversimplifying what I mean by cultural and social attitudes. Yes, there are likely always going to be those who are toxic -- but the degree to which they are socially enabled, controlled, punished, etc., makes a huge difference.

A simple example from real world crime and statistics.

The murder rate per 100,000 population in the USA in 2017 was (according to UN stats) 5.30.

In Canada, for the same year, the number is a teeny bit more than a third of that: 1.80.

In Japan, same year, it was a fraction of both of those numbers: 0.20.

So, unless you're willing to suggest that there is something genetic about Canadians and especially the Japanese that makes them less inclined to murder people, there are social and cultural differences that account for at least a large degree of those differences.

Now, I'm simplifying to some degree as well: there are a lot of factors that go into determining homicide rates: poverty, access to deadly weapons (firearms), social attitudes, crime and drugs, and so forth. But those are all social and cultural factors.

The same kinds of reasoning apply to toxic behaviours in virtual environments. What are the affordances that enable such behaviours? How are they restricted, reported, punished? What sorts of attitudes enable or disable them? What kinds of variation can we see in-world -- the fact that sandboxes are notorious hangouts for griefers is no coincidence.

The point is that it is the "culture" of Second Life (and Twitter, and Facebook, etc.) that determine the degree to which these behaviours are tolerated, enabled, or constrained, including code. But it's the culture, not the code, that is the key determinant here: code reflects more than it shapes culture (although there is an interdependence of course as well.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just a quick response, in passing.

I think you are oversimplifying what I mean by cultural and social attitudes. Yes, there are likely always going to be those who are toxic -- but the degree to which they are socially enabled, controlled, punished, etc., makes a huge difference.

A simple example from real world crime and statistics.

The murder rate per 100,000 population in the USA in 2017 was (according to UN stats) 5.30.

In Canada, for the same year, the number is a teeny bit more than a third of that: 1.80.

In Japan, same year, it was a fraction of both of those numbers: 0.20.

So, unless you're willing to suggest that there is something genetic about Canadians and especially the Japanese that makes them less inclined to murder people, there are social and cultural differences that account for at least a large degree of those differences.

Now, I'm simplifying to some degree as well: there are a lot of factors that go into determining homicide rates: poverty, access to deadly weapons (firearms), social attitudes, crime and drugs, and so forth. But those are all social and cultural factors.

The same kinds of reasoning apply to toxic behaviours in virtual environments. What are the affordances that enable such behaviours? How are they restricted, reported, punished? What sorts of attitudes enable or disable them? What kinds of variation can we see in-world -- the fact that sandboxes are notorious hangouts for griefers is no coincidence.

The point is that it is the "culture" of Second Life (and Twitter, and Facebook, etc.) that determine the degree to which these behaviours are tolerated, enabled, or constrained, including code. But it's the culture, not the code, that is the key determinant here: code reflects more than it shapes culture (although there is an interdependence of course as well.)

I didn't fully understand where you were going with what you said. Now that you clarified, I agree with you.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I used to be a troll back in the day. I got bored and then just gave it up. But from time to time, I will troll someone who I feel is doing something wrong. Like being racist, and I am getting sick of arguing back and forth. So I will just troll them, just to get them going. Lol.

i've never purposely trolled, but somehow I did just fine here in the forums by accident!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.