Best role combo for building on group owned land?

digital Darwinian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If possible, I'd like to allow a specific group role to allow building/moving/editing objects and terrain on land that is group-owned.  

I figure there are two approaches:

• Turn off Build for Groups in About Land > Options, then set up a group role that allows building and terraforming, hoping that the new role allows building again *just for those people with that role*, or
  • Turn on Build for Groups in About Land > Options, then set up a group role that allows building and terraforming, hoping that people not set to that role cannot build.

Either approach works for me, but as there is no specific 'allow building' in Group Roles, I'd like to know what would be the best combo of the existing group roles to enable role-wearers to build on the land, but only them.

Appreciate your advice in advance!

-Jimm

I believe that "Always Allow Create Objects" may be the ability you are looking for as far as building goes, and "Always Allow 'Edit Terrain'" for terraforming. Those should allow the members with those abilities to build and terraform even though you have them turned off for group in About Land - Options. 

EDIT: I'm not sure what you are asking for regarding moving/editing objects. If you mean group-owned, there is an ability for that as well ("Manipulate group-owned objects").

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, digital Darwinian said:

If possible, I'd like to allow a specific group role to allow building/moving/editing objects and terrain on land that is group-owned.  

I figure there are two approaches:

• Turn off Build for Groups in About Land > Options, then set up a group role that allows building and terraforming, hoping that the new role allows building again *just for those people with that role*, or
  • Turn on Build for Groups in About Land > Options, then set up a group role that allows building and terraforming, hoping that people not set to that role cannot build.

Either approach works for me, but as there is no specific 'allow building' in Group Roles, I'd like to know what would be the best combo of the existing group roles to enable role-wearers to build on the land, but only them.

Appreciate your advice in advance!

-Jimm

Leaving Build turned ON for groups will allow ALL group members to create objects --- so you need to go with your first option.

As Sylvia said, be sure the build Role has "Always Allow Create Objects" - that is what allows them to override the default land setting of 'no build for group'.  Ditto for the 'Always allow edit terrain'.  Also give them 'Deed objects to group' if you want.  I'm pretty sure the 'Manipulate group-owned objects' only applies to items deeded to the group.  Then just scroll through the other abilities and add to the Role as you see fit.  Note, that if a person belongs to multiple roles, I'm pretty sure they need to have the "build role' active in order to create objects.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 2

One killer of these nice aspirations is that if anyone happens to put anything in "share," accidentally or on purpose, people whose roles would not ordinarily allow them to return group-set objects are now able to return them. This pertains to deeded objects as well (because first, they are shared).

This is a vulnerability for griefing and revenge-seekers. 

The Lindens don't see it this way, as I discovered when I filed a JIRA years ago, which they consider a feature, not a bug. They think it's just ducky for groups of people to get together and build, and the bigger egos and bullies in the group to return the prims of other people they don't like if put in "share" for everyone to move them.

Everything in the Linden Library used to be in share by default due to the vision of hippie communes that the early Lindens promulgated. All it did is enable griefers to take the party hat made by Philip Linden, that had your name on it and owner, and put it into space with a script with particle showers, so that people thought you were the griefer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.