I said LAG, do you understand what I'm talking about?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I prefer the term creator. Selling items is just something people do. Creative is something they are.

Absolutely. I appreciate creative merchants much more than the so-called "artists" in Second Life.
Let's say that creative merchants have to put much more effort into what they do and when they produce quality where you can see the effort and talent of their work is something that I appreciate very much.
However, it is quite rare to find someone who really works in a refined way and who comes up with original ideas.
Today I spent a lot of money in the shops of Shouko Kanto and Crias Rowlands and I believe that in the future I will continue to be their regular customer. Those guys are really cool!
Although I must admit that the first one being in Insilico made me sweat a little while fighting with lag. Hey but we're talking about Insilico anyway. That place is so beautifully made that everything is forgiven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Maybe for some store owners they have a way of thinking that the higher powered computer someone has the more disposable income they have to spend in their store?  Not everyone suffers from the lag if they have computers that run like NASA space craft with a better-than-average gaming-dedicated graphics card, three fans and a cooling system. 

Maybe. 

Or maybe some stores are on regions that are sharing servers and are a bit more prone to lag than others and think it's a tolerable amount when they don't have an all-you-can-eat seasonal sale.

Just hazarding a couple of guesses here. 

Yes Marigold I think the first of your guesses is most likely the most realistic. Surely many have a powerful computer and an excellent connection and believe that the whole world must adapt to their standard.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

There seems to be two laws of nature in SL, or in any metaverse, for that matter:

1. Bigger is more 'beautiful'. People rez more stuff to make it 'prettier'.

2. Also, bigger is slower. The more prims and scripts you add to a land, the slower it becomes to load and render for anyone.

So much for the First and Second Law of Captain Obvious.

'Beauty' and speed are two trade-offs that will always reach an equilibrium in SL, no matter how hard humanity's internet speed and computer speed will increase over time. The amount of prims and scripts added to a land will always reflect, in the worst case,  the level of 'tolerable' of the creator and, in the best case, the level of 'tolerable' of their average visitor.

This is something that I have always sensed too.
We will always be forced to run towards something that can never be reached and with a monster chasing us and which is called obsolescence.
This you say: <'Beauty' and speed are two trade-offs that will always reach an equilibrium in SL, no matter how hard humanity's internet speed and computer speed will increase over time. The amount of prims and scripts added to a land will always reflect, in the worst case, the level of 'tolerable' of the creator and, in the best case, the level of 'tolerable' of their average visitor.> Is very true . I learned to use Blender the first time I was born here and the great lesson Second Life gave me in that sense was a pillar of my training.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Crashing a sim with a huge crowd is the ultimate compliment to any entertainer.  You are obviously not a club owner, DJ, hostess, or live entertainer.  The larger the crowd, the better everyone feels.  A sign of success, and being part of a friendly crowd is better than watching youtube alone in your room, for MOST people.

Lag is like cigarette smoke, spilled beer,  and cheap perfume in RL - you put up with it if you club, or you stay at home alone with your pets.

And sometimes a club will put out a Lindo camping thing.  Those dumb things causes big time lag as the huds for them are poorly scripted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.