Processing Large Integers

SalvadorNL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

its been a while since i last scripted, and this simple little thing is driving me crazy

if ((integer)msg) { integer min = -2147483648; integer max = 2147483647; integer input = (integer)msg;
                                         if (((integer)msg > min & (integer)msg < max) & (string)input == (string)msg) {   llOwnerSay("New Channel: "+(string)msg);  }

If the user enters a number outside the scope,  the input will result in;  -1 ,  although this works,  i wonder if there isn't a better/cleaner option ?

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If your goal is to get a channel for a listen hat is reasonably safe against duplication, there are better methods such as taking a portion of the user's UUID and converting that to a negative integer..

One safeguard you could try is to take the length of msg before trying to cast it to an integer and making sure it does not exceed the length of a string holding a maximum integer representation, and don't cast if the string is too long.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If your goal is to get a channel for a listen hat is reasonably safe against duplication, there are better methods such as taking a portion of the user's UUID and converting that to a negative integer..

One safeguard you could try is to take the length of msg before trying to cast it to an integer and making sure it does not exceed the length of a string holding a maximum integer representation, and don't cast if the string is too long.

For example:

integer number;

number = llGetSubString(number, 0, 9);
number = -(llAbs(number));

On 12/4/2021 at 5:19 PM, SalvadorNL said:

although this works,  i wonder if there isn't a better/cleaner option ?

LSL only has Signed 32-bit numbers, so trying to check if an integer value is outside of those bounds is impossible.

Your code would work even if you removed the min/max check, at which point your code is basically the same as KT's. Sadly that's about as short as it gets.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.