sl groups question

ArianaMcFee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

By definition, a group must always have at least two members at all times.  When there are fewer, the group disappears within 48 hours.  Therefore, you cannot possibly be the last person in the group unless the group is about to die.  (There's only one mildly rare exception; if the group owns land on the Mainland, it can't disappear until the land is sold or abandoned.) 

Now .... if you own a group and you want to leave it, there are only two ways out:

1.  Find some other group member to make an Owner of the group, and then leave the group yourself, or

2. Eject everybody else from the group and wait 48 hours for it to self-destruct.

49 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

By definition, a group must always have at least two members at all times.  When there are fewer, the group disappears within 48 hours.  Therefore, you cannot possibly be the last person in the group unless the group is about to die.  (There's only one mildly rare exception; if the group owns land on the Mainland, it can't disappear until the land is sold or abandoned.) 

Now .... if you own a group and you want to leave it, there are only two ways out:

1.  Find some other group member to make an Owner of the group, and then leave the group yourself, or

2. Eject everybody else from the group and wait 48 hours for it to self-destruct.

On my previous avatar, I was the sole member of a group I created.  It remained for several years in my group list even though it kept telling me I could not leave it.  Glitch?

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It remained for several years in my group list even though it kept telling me I could not leave it.  Glitch?

Not if the group owned land on the Mainland.  AFAIK, that's the only situation in which a group could survive with just one member.   @Lindal Kidd may know more, but I think that's it.

I believe Rolig is right.

Normally, any group with only one member will self destruct within 48 hours, UNLESS the group owns Mainland.  In this case, the group (with one member!) will remain in existence as long as it owns some Mainland. If the land is sold, the group will then be dissolved as usual.

You can check to see if the group owns land by clicking the Land & L$ tab in the group info window.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not if the group owned land on the Mainland.  AFAIK, that's the only situation in which a group could survive with just one member.   @Lindal Kidd may know more, but I think that's it.

Nope, never owned any land on that group.  Now, I don't know if a search for the group would show it was gone but it still showed in my list of groups after repeatedly trying to leave it.  I'd say it was a good 3 or 4 years until it disappeared.  I didn't use that avatar on a regular basis and I didn't care it was still.listed so I never pursued an explanation from LL.  One day, it was finally gone.  

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Nope, never owned any land on that group.  Now, I don't know if a search for the group would show it was gone but it still showed in my list of groups after repeatedly trying to leave it.  I'd say it was a good 3 or 4 years until it disappeared.  I didn't use that avatar on a regular basis and I didn't care it was still.listed so I never pursued an explanation from LL.  One day, it was finally gone.  

Spooky.  I have absolutely no explanation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.