Lag checking

Naiman Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How can you do to check what items are causing possible lag ?

I know aren't my items in the place I have built, but I have bought some time savers from marketplace and spammed around , they are highly detailed items but not sure why should cause more lag then my items, I do lods and all and all items use material maps etc, so I guess those are no different... so how can I do to check why in a specific area of my sim I have massive lag?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Naiman Broome said:

How can you do to check what items are causing possible lag ?

The easiest way is to use the Inspect Object function (right click -> Object -> Inspect). It'll give you something like this:

bilde.png.ea605964176d856b59ae2f4e76866227.png

The most important stats to look at are VRAM, Vertices and Triangles. It's hard to give any specific limit for what is good or bad but the higher those are, the more the object is likely to cause frame rate issues. My example shows the data for a medium sized not very good but not disastrously bad house.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Naiman Broome said:

are there not any king of limits to stay alert ?

I tend to use 10k polys for detail items that are quite close, then I use lods to scale them down to very few and a maz 5k items that need to be scattered around frequently.

Low framerates can be caused by many things. Rendering a number of 5k items all at once can have an impact on it's own already. Even if those are just lowpoly objects.
Then there might be overdraw from alpha blending textures. Grassfields and other large plants which are set to alpha blending are the worst offenders here.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Low framerates can be caused by many things. Rendering a number of 5k items all at once can have an impact on it's own already. Even if those are just lowpoly objects.
Then there might be overdraw from alpha blending textures. Grassfields and other large plants which are set to alpha blending are the worst offenders here.

in My sim I use hundreds of plants ( mine ) and I have 0 lag, in upper sky I used lot of vases bought on mkt and there I have lag.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:12 AM, Naiman Broome said:

in My sim I use hundreds of plants ( mine ) and I have 0 lag, in upper sky I used lot of vases bought on mkt and there I have lag.

You may want to check what size textures are on the vases (as there are some horrific things out there on Marketplace like that that end up with 8 x 1024 textures on one item).
Also check the LODS on them too like you do with your own stuff to see what they are.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 12:54 AM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

You may want to check what size textures are on the vases (as there are some horrific things out there on Marketplace like that that end up with 8 x 1024 textures on one item).
Also check the LODS on them too like you do with your own stuff to see what they are.

I am finding though that the problem is not much the texture sizes, because those once loaded are in your cache dir so are downloaded, but the number of polygons of items , this seems to be to me the biggest cause of lag ... What you think?

8 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

I am finding though that the problem is not much the texture sizes, because those once loaded are in your cache dir so are downloaded, but the number of polygons of items , this seems to be to me the biggest cause of lag ... What you think?

There is a thread I put up on here about a 100K poly basket (tiny thing under a sink) and LODS - how many Tris are the vases at each LOD?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.