Updating graphics card made it worse!!

Katrinaceleste Bravin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was prompted to update my video driver with ccleaner. I thought it was odd because I was sure it was all updated. When I proceeded to update it crashed then I couldn't even restart my computer fully. Apparently the video card was now disabled. A friend advised that I pull out my video card and then put it back it. That helped my computer to restart properly but now I cannot open Second Life. I was running it before, on the same system and computer. I actually went through this problem a few months ago and eventually got it running again. 
I have gone to the AMD site and got the latest driver to reinstall. I deleted old drivers. Then I read the article the community has and tried to use the steps there. I had already deleted the old driver so the steps could not be followed as advised. I have restarted and reinstalled the driver several times, and a quite frustrated and bewildered. I am a premium member and really want to get back online. I wish I could remember exactly how I fixed it last time but I frantically did several things until it worked, and cannot remember what made it work. 
Nothing seems to be working this time. I uninstalled ccleaner because I no longer trust it after what happened.  I also submited a support ticket and hope to hear back soon.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me,
Katrinaceleste Bravin

6 answers to this question

you might need to get an older AMD driver (preferably the same version as you had before)

on the AMD driver page, pick the model of your graphics card then click the Submit button

on the next page that shows then about halfway down the page you will see a link to Previous Drivers.  Looks like this:

amdprevdrivers.jpg.3c3cadaca207b5cba02b8b32bb67cdb8.jpg

click on the link and hopefully the driver you had before will show up. Try downloading the older drivers and seeing if any of them will work. Hopefully fingers crossed one of them will. And if so then never upgrade ever again

ps. I had to do this with my NVidia graphics. Ended up rolling back to version 456.71 to get SL to work as it used to for me.  The latest NVidia version is 472.12 and I just don't ever upgrade. Newer version might work, might not either and I don't want to find out if it doesn't

4 hours ago, Katrinaceleste Bravin said:

I was prompted to update my video driver with ccleaner

Tell CCleaner to shut up and go to where the sun doesn't shine. AMD is perfectly capable of informing you of new driver versions, if you insist.

Apparently the video card was now disabled

As in "your computer did not recognize the GPU anymore".

I deleted old drivers

How?

I am a premium member

Your GPU does not care for that.

I uninstalled ccleaner

Good.

After all that:

What GPU are we even talking about?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katrinaceleste Bravin said:

I wish I could remember exactly how I fixed it last time but I frantically did several things until it worked, and cannot remember what made it work. 

AHA! Somebody uses the same troubleshooting approach I do.

I feel vindicated.

Unfortunately, although you made my day, I can't make yours. I will make a couple of observations, though.

1. Windows is perfectly capable of running your video card or integrated video without any Radeon drivers, let alone the "latest" ones. It has generic drivers that it can use until you install the driver provided by Radeon. Your display may look funny and run at a low resolution, but it will run. So you can uninstall any Radeon drivers that may be living on your computer and messing things up.
  2. Or, you can use F5 during bootup to launch Windows in Safe mode with networking, which automatically disables all your device-specific drivers and uses the generic ones.
  3. Once you are sure your computer is clean, go to the Radeon website. From here you have options:
    1. Use @Mollymews's advice to navigate to the list of older drivers and pick the one you knew was working.
    2. Or, install the automatic updating software and let it choose the right driver for you. It's the big "Download Now" button at the very top section of the Radeon drivers support site, https://www.amd.com/en/support
    3. Below that, you can also tell the site exactly which product you have, and download the drivers for it, if you don't care to install the above helper application.

10 hours ago, Katrinaceleste Bravin said:
I was prompted to update my video driver with ccleaner. I thought it was odd because I was sure it was all updated. When I proceeded to update it crashed then I couldn't even restart my computer fully. Apparently the video card was now disabled. A friend advised that I pull out my video card and then put it back it. That helped my computer to restart properly but now I cannot open Second Life. I was running it before, on the same system and computer. I actually went through this problem a few months ago and eventually got it running again. 
I have gone to the AMD site and got the latest driver to reinstall. I deleted old drivers. Then I read the article the community has and tried to use the steps there. I had already deleted the old driver so the steps could not be followed as advised. I have restarted and reinstalled the driver several times, and a quite frustrated and bewildered. I am a premium member and really want to get back online. I wish I could remember exactly how I fixed it last time but I frantically did several things until it worked, and cannot remember what made it work. 
Nothing seems to be working this time. I uninstalled ccleaner because I no longer trust it after what happened.  I also submited a support ticket and hope to hear back soon.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me,
Katrinaceleste Bravin

I got it working again.... Whew!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

AHA! Somebody uses the same troubleshooting approach I do.

I feel vindicated.

Unfortunately, although you made my day, I can't make yours. I will make a couple of observations, though.

1. Windows is perfectly capable of running your video card or integrated video without any Radeon drivers, let alone the "latest" ones. It has generic drivers that it can use until you install the driver provided by Radeon. Your display may look funny and run at a low resolution, but it will run. So you can uninstall any Radeon drivers that may be living on your computer and messing things up.
  2. Or, you can use F5 during bootup to launch Windows in Safe mode with networking, which automatically disables all your device-specific drivers and uses the generic ones.
  3. Once you are sure your computer is clean, go to the Radeon website. From here you have options:
    1. Use @Mollymews's advice to navigate to the list of older drivers and pick the one you knew was working.
    2. Or, install the automatic updating software and let it choose the right driver for you. It's the big "Download Now" button at the very top section of the Radeon drivers support site, https://www.amd.com/en/support
    3. Below that, you can also tell the site exactly which product you have, and download the drivers for it, if you don't care to install the above helper application.

yes I launched in safe mode etc. Thanks for response. I am back inworld and puttering around and decorating!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

you might need to get an older AMD driver (preferably the same version as you had before)

on the AMD driver page, pick the model of your graphics card then click the Submit button

on the next page that shows then about halfway down the page you will see a link to Previous Drivers.  Looks like this:

amdprevdrivers.jpg.3c3cadaca207b5cba02b8b32bb67cdb8.jpg

click on the link and hopefully the driver you had before will show up. Try downloading the older drivers and seeing if any of them will work. Hopefully fingers crossed one of them will. And if so then never upgrade ever again

ps. I had to do this with my NVidia graphics. Ended up rolling back to version 456.71 to get SL to work as it used to for me.  The latest NVidia version is 472.12 and I just don't ever upgrade. Newer version might work, might not either and I don't want to find out if it doesn't

Thank goodness I am back in business. thanks to everybody that responded!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.