Disappearance of music streams in SecondLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It may not come as a surprise to some that SomaFM streams are no longer avaiable in Second Life.  I have been in touch with SomaFM and the reason is simple.  Soma have blocked Second Life because LL refused to pay any royalties on the music streams provided to SL by SomaFM.

What your opinion of this will almost certainly vary, and of course the streams can still be played in external radio players, so the music is not unavailable to all, but for now the shared experience of music streaming to the region from SomaFM is no more.

I do not hold out any hope of LL changing their attitude over this so we must, I guess, accept the situation.  It is something that really needs to be addressed and it is the same for virtually (sic) all streaming services.  The artists and the broadcasters need to be given due recompense for their medium

There is no streaming "into the region". You can pin a stream url to a parcel info and every viewer can connect the built in player to that stream if they want. SL is not involved in the streaming besides sharing an url. So why would LL pay anything?

Ok, tested it. The parcel stream is blocked. I can connect at the same time with any other player and listen though. So they block the viewers player it seems.

A moap prim works fine and plays the SOMA streams. No problem. This one connects over the viewers built in browser.

• Like 1

as a former broadcaster,  it's responciblity of the one doing the broadcast, not the one listening , LL has nothing to do with this, LL is not playing the music themselves nor are they broadcasting it, SOMA, is trying to pass the buck and collect money for their own greedy pockets, not the first time around in this industry for me,  trust me, it's what they are trying to do.

• Like 1

Honestly, seems rather reasonable to me to block SL, just not exactly for their stated reasons. SL provides an easy abstraction layer between listener and stream. if you're not listening through the website, you're not looking at adds that encourage you to pay them to continue running their service. More load + smaller revenue % = no stream.

The above points are noted  @bigmoe WhitfieldYour point is very interesting, I'll see how Soma respond to that.

@Quistess Alpha You may not have noticed but the stream does, in fact, contain adverts for Somafm on a regular basis, they are just not very intrusive, being audio only.  On your criteria no, it is not reasonable.  It was a similar argument that was stated as their reason for blocking SL by DI.fm and was equally spurious for them, since the stream contained adverts, just not visual ones.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aishagain said:

The above points are noted  @bigmoe Whitfield Your point is very interesting, I'll see how Soma respond to that.

@Quistess Alpha You may not have noticed but the stream does, in fact, contain adverts for Somafm on a regular basis, they are just not very intrusive, being audio only.  On your criteria no, it is not reasonable.  It was a similar argument that was stated as their reason for blocking SL by DI.fm and was equally spurious for them, since the stream contained adverts, just not visual ones.

The broadcaster is the one that pays the royalties, if they are trying to offload it onto the consumer or some one just streaming,  I can let a few people know on my end (former real life dj and internet dj) and my people will be MORE than interested.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.