Show Us Your Daily Camera Angle- How Close Do You Play SL?

Therese Tammas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How close do you play? Show us how close do you like to view your day to day SL. 

I do use a third party camera HUD for this. For me, this is how close I play (pics below). Most times its close enough to see up close the details of my hair and my jeans (first pic), with almost all my body in view but close up- this is how I am walking around or sailing.  Other times it's even closer, some times over the shoulder or far off to the side but literally right by my avatar. When I'm horse back riding I am on my horse but my camera is usually angled so that its over the shoulder of my avatar and all I see is the horse's head.  I usually don't do mouselook but mouselook is also amazingly immersive and some times undervalued.

What's your angle of your world like?

1878826286_Home1_047.thumb.png.23d057d66b298c1afe04d6ebd81d961d.png

Home 1_048.png

Home 1_050.png

Edited by Therese Tammas

I use a SpaceNavigator and have since 2012. Frankly, I don't like to be on Second Life without it! They call it a 3D mouse, but it's like a miniature joystick. This makes editing so much easier, but it also means I can cam in very close and quickly on anything so hunts are easier, too!

image.thumb.png.30eccbe58e1121407a7cc260f4c01f8b.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Debs Whimsy said:

I use a SpaceNavigator and have since 2012. Frankly, I don't like to be on Second Life without it! They call it a 3D mouse, but it's like a miniature joystick. This makes editing so much easier, but it also means I can cam in very close and quickly on anything so hunts are easier, too!

image.thumb.png.30eccbe58e1121407a7cc260f4c01f8b.png

Closer to your av is better right? Versus the default which is a bit further up of a view from the environment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I use the camera presets that I set up the way I like.  You can change those and save them as your own defaults.  I have front, rear and one for horseback riding.

Rear view_001.jpg

Rear view_002.jpg

I love how close up your av is! Very immersive no?

I have struggled with the Firestorm presets xD - how do you do your camera settings in Firestorm? I need like  a walk through video maybe hahaha. Meantime I use a $10L HUD

Edited by Therese Tammas

20 hours ago, Therese Tammas said:

I love how close up your av is! Very immersive no?

I have struggled with the Firestorm presets xD - how do you do your camera settings in Firestorm? I need like  a walk through video maybe hahaha. Meantime I use a $10L HUD

This blog post was very helpful.  

https://modemworld.me/2020/05/19/tutorial-viewer-camera-presets/

Usually slightly pitched above the head, a short distance from my avatar. cangle.png.9cd7a4f3e8bde0b74a351a562cc892bd.png

When I am exploring an area, and just want to soak in all of the environment I typically move my camera to the left of my avatar, it makes walking a little more difficult but the view is so much better in my opinion because my avatar is out of the way. I would use mouselook, but I enjoy seeing what is around my avatar.

cangle2.png.da477264d7e57c3dea3d328010a1009f.png

When driving, I usually have the cam zoomed out pretty far - unless I can use mouselook.  I prefer mouselook when on my wearable vehicles, as it works pretty well, that and my houseboat which has large windows and moves along slowly 🥰

This is one of my smaller avatars, I usually use while fishing.  I have a HUD I typically use to store all of the camera positions as well as adjustments I need to use, although as posted above Firestorm now has presets which do the same thing now, which is great. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

After 14 years with default camera angle, I have to continue using it.

It feels so weird every time I have tried to change it. It is just impossible to look closer to my avatar. My eyes and my brain protest and say it is wrong.

Aw that makes sense nodnod. I would be so ingrained too! 

1 hour ago, Therese Tammas said:

Aw that makes sense nodnod. I would be so ingrained too! 

And I have never played another game that has the camera close and over the shoulder view. I have read that those who are used to this angle, changes the default SL camera so it is familiar to them. But I came to SL as a game virgin, heck, even an internet virgin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

And I have never played another game that has the camera close and over the shoulder view. I have read that those who are used to this angle, changes the default SL camera so it is familiar to them. But I came to SL as a game virgin, heck, even an internet virgin.

Awww.

By the way, I also only really play SL- my big expensive rig I got specifically for SL, haha.

For me its so I can see things closer, when I do my cameras

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Aww

Oh, and I also play SL too...and before SL I never really played games. And up to now don't play anything else really.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

The closer camera angle just allows me to see better inside homes.  Navigating through doorways and such is much easier if you're closer in to your avatar than miles up and away.  I've never played any other online games either but it's sure easier to move about close up.

19 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The closer camera angle just allows me to see better inside homes.  Navigating through doorways and such is much easier if you're closer in to your avatar than miles up and away.  I've never played any other online games either but it's sure easier to move about close up.

Totally agree! I think its also super fun!

23 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Usually slightly pitched above the head, a short distance from my avatar. cangle.png.9cd7a4f3e8bde0b74a351a562cc892bd.png

When I am exploring an area, and just want to soak in all of the environment I typically move my camera to the left of my avatar, it makes walking a little more difficult but the view is so much better in my opinion because my avatar is out of the way. I would use mouselook, but I enjoy seeing what is around my avatar.

cangle2.png.da477264d7e57c3dea3d328010a1009f.png

When driving, I usually have the cam zoomed out pretty far - unless I can use mouselook.  I prefer mouselook when on my wearable vehicles, as it works pretty well, that and my houseboat which has large windows and moves along slowly 🥰

This is one of my smaller avatars, I usually use while fishing.  I have a HUD I typically use to store all of the camera positions as well as adjustments I need to use, although as posted above Firestorm now has presets which do the same thing now, which is great. 

Oooh driving's another perspective too! Depending on what I want to do, I'll be up close like I am while sailing or further up up to the point that I see the whole car too, if I wanted to see more or just be better navigating

The pics look great!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.