Is using hover text for DEMO items a safe method?

MeshPromo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have two linkset cloth to give as DEMO. If I add demo prim, then there will be three linkset.

The problem is when there are more than 2 linksets, the link numbers could be changed at the next usage. Then the HUD won't work properly.

As a solution, I'm planning to use a hover text with my store information for the DEMO item.

The hover text script, other scripts, and the mesh cloth will be set as "no modify" and "no transfer".

My question: Is this a safe method to give DEMOs? Is there any possibility to break this in a genuine way?

Thanks for any useful answers.

A user could disable hovertext rendering clientside. It wouldn't remove the demo message, but they would no longer see it on their end (everyone else would however)

If your script is modify, it may be best to re-engineer it to find the correct link numbers based on their names, and thus it doesn't matter what order they are linked in as the script will find and cache the correct link numbers in it's memory.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MeshPromo said:

I have two linkset cloth to give as DEMO. If I add demo prim, then there will be three linkset.

The problem is when there are more than 2 linksets, the link numbers could be changed at the next usage. Then the HUD won't work properly.

if you select the Demo prim first and then link it to your object, the Demo prim will be the last prim in the linkset, and if your script is using hardcoded link numbers then they should continue to be the same

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.