Right before my very eyes...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cartoons vs. cartoons, far as know.

Seems like the difference between death metal and heavy metal - which I can't tell apart.

But since there's apparantly some actual difference, one should assume that the linden who made the mistake of grouping them is, like me, not a part of this particular subculture and not aware of it. In which case I guess educate them with specifics of where each does belong and why.

my example was quite literal...

animation in the context of SL is the file that sits inside your AO and keeps you from walking like a duck, one of the three, soon to be for things you can upload into SL

Every walk, run, sit, dance and flying action you take inworld is controlled by an animation file... every pose, every runway walk, every automated head nod when you say something, every goofy arms out pose stand for dressing, or appearance mode... even the much loathed typing action... all animation files that record the angle and position of every bone in your virtual body. It shares some of the language of animated images but is a completely different technology.

Machinima is virtual movie making.... at it's base it's filming what's going on in a virtual world. it's closest relative in SL is image manipulation, although even that is stretch, considering the tools in use are as different as painting and putting on a play.

Ironically, looking at that animation UI in this context, I'm much reminded of a cinematic storyboard.  (And in the next post, that .bvh listing appears a strong argument that the Animation topic must surely belong in the Scripting forum. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:)

One objective way to slice and dice forums would be by statistical cluster analysis of who posts to which threads, then ascribing some plausible name to the resulting thread clusters.

Doing that, however, one may well end up with a forum corresponding to "threads eventually closed by moderator" -- hinting which posters may need some re-education (or dosage adjustment).

Qie Niangao wrote:

[...] One objective way to slice and dice forums would be by statistical cluster analysis of who posts to which threads, then ascribing some plausible name to the resulting thread clusters. [...]

that. is. NOT. funny.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.