About llGetInventoryAcquireTime()

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So this function was implemented recently and is available on the beta grid for testing in the region Jigglypuff.

The implementation stems from the feature request BUG-227663 where the benefits & use cases are listed. I'm sort of surprised it got any priority.

It currently does not offer millisecond precision yet, but is available in ISO format so that it may hopefully be offered at some point in the future.

For example, you will see 2021-05-25T21:18:36Z instead of 2021-05-25T21:18:36.976645Z

I'm bringing attention to this function early to get opinions and will probably do the same for any new functions I'm made aware of in the future.

• Thanks 5

I like it. Although I think the workaround for the specific case in which you want to know the most recent inventory (that being placing all 'old' inventory into a second linked prim and using a separate script in that prim to manage it) can be somewhat better practice depending on the circumstances.

Also thank you for bringing it to our(my) attention, I'm not really sure how we(I) would learn about things like this otherwise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quistessa said:

I like it. Although I think the workaround for the specific case in which you want to know the most recent inventory (that being placing all 'old' inventory into a second linked prim and using a separate script in that prim to manage it) can be somewhat better practice depending on the circumstances.

Also thank you for bringing it to our(my) attention, I'm not really sure how we(I) would learn about things like this otherwise.

Yeah, but when you move an inventory item to another link a new acquire time is created for it there, so if you then delete the original inventory item and reset the script tracking things, you've lost that record whereas if you've kept the inventory items together, their acquire times would not change and a reset script could still figure out which are the oldest/newest item(s).

I still feel the most common use case will be knowing if something is original or was replaced. Acquire times can be hard coded into scripts for checking. Acquire times can be used as identifiers the same way prim/mesh creation times can be.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Yeah, but when you move an inventory item to another link a new acquire time is created for it there,

FWIW I'm not arguing that the function isn't good, or that knowing the acquire times isn't a good way of doing things, just that for the use-case that is most apparent to me, which is an object which takes in an inventory item, does something related to that item, and then never needs to think about that item again it is mildly more efficient to check the name of the only extraneous item in the prim (the only one we haven't sent to the 'storage' prim) than to check the acquire time of every item in the prim and take the newest. (if this is implemented, the storage prim will also have the acquire time of all the inventory as well, (plus whatever delay there was in processing it). win-win)

Tangent over, if we're getting this maybe someone can petition for functions to manipulate inventory in other linked prims, or maybe the acquire time could be attached to the linkset rather than the prim it was most recently added to.

1 hour ago, Quistessa said:

if we're getting this maybe someone can petition for functions to manipulate inventory in other linked prims

The developer that implemented this function seems to be interested in making newer inventory functions.

I suggested offering link access to offer greater flexibility over what we're limited with currently.

This feature request covers most cases.

• Like 1

Not so much about scripts but I would really like it if the inventory list in the build dialog didn't attempt to load everything at once.

In animation systems with 100's of animations, the time taken to load the objects inventory can be measured in minutes, and the moment you edit something, the entire list becomes invalidated and you can't operate on it again until it refreshes. There's no need for the entire list to be loaded, just the bit I'm scrolled to

• Like 2

I'd like inventory folders. It would make it so much easier to organise stuff such as versions of different animations for different states..

It could be implemented in a non-breaking way by having an optional 3rd argument to the inventory functions, if present, it i the name of a folder. If absent, work on the top-level (existing).

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.