Will a Walmart prepaid/reload greendot card work?

Rulrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a Walmart brand of greendot card.
It is a prepaid card, I can only spend money I have on it. It is reloadable and reusable as long as its in date. Which it expires 12/23.
I would like to know can I use it to pay for three months sub of second life and also buy lindens with it.
I know I can't use paypal with it attached without a checking account.
And I can't attach a bank account to it due to one I have is for my ssi/ssdi and they don't like when you do stuff like that. Anything more than paying bills they get fussy.
I tried playing planet calypso and they absolutely hated the card refusing any prepaid card. 
So I wanted to see here before I get super invested and find out I can't. 

9 answers to this question

Let everyone know, I tried adding my card as payment, System accepted it. I have $7.50 on it so I tried buying 5 dolor's of lindens, so after fee's was 6.49. And guess what? I was able to buy the lindens, Second life loves me and my card.

• Like 3

All you can do is try and see what happens.  Some people have no problem with some prepaid cards.  What Linden Lab says, as a way of discouraging people from getting their hopes too high, is "At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards."  

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm betting the answer is "no".

Me too, but I have answered this question so many times that I finally decided it's best to just let people find out the answer by trying it themselves.  Once in a while, it actually works. ;)

• Like 2

I haven't tried yet, I have to wait till Monday next time I go to Walmart to put money on card.
I will let you know.
But I fear you are right.
And that is sad, I can pay for sub for eve online and there item mall I can also pay for ddo and there item mall with this card. 
Infact most of all the MMO's I play I can use this card on.
I can even use it on amazon and many many other retail sites.

Edited by Rulrin

2 hours ago, Rulrin said:

I can pay for sub for eve online and there item mall I can also pay for ddo and there item mall with this card. 

So, not a total loss then. It's worth the experiment.  Good luck.

11 hours ago, Rulrin said:

I haven't tried yet, I have to wait till Monday next time I go to Walmart to put money on card.
I will let you know.
But I fear you are right.
And that is sad, I can pay for sub for eve online and there item mall I can also pay for ddo and there item mall with this card. 

The biggest reason that LL often will not allow these is that they are not tied to a RL identity the way that a regular credit card or bank account is.  Since L$ can be turned into real money and taken out, LL has to worry about things like money laundering. That isn't something that the other MMOs have to worry about.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.