No Media Plugin was found to handle the "text/html" mime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So this strange error is back (I had not experienced it before but it's been around in past years.)

Yes, I reinstalled Quicktime.

Yes, I did a total clean boot of SL's latest download.

Yes, I cleared cache.

Yes, I updated the latest AMD drivers.

Awfully annoying, as each time you teleport anywhere it fires up this silly notice again.

Turning off all media options doesn't seem to quell it.

I'm basically channeling @Whirly Fizzle here, specifically her comment on a recent jira.

If a "total clean boot" means a clean reinstall, then we'll assume the viewer installation (which can cause this) isn't the problem in this case.

Most likely, then, some anti-virus has forgotten it's supposed to allow SlPlugin and/or dullahan_host to run (maybe because it didn't see a response to a dialog asking whether it should allow one of these weird "CEF" helper programs do what they must to make SL media work). You'll need to add these to your anti-virus program's whitelist, the details for doing so will depend on that specific anti-virus program.

Maybe it's perfectly normal, but I'm a little surprised that the viewer is trying to load a web page—the "text/html" mime stuff—with every teleport. Maybe if certain windows are open, or with certain HUDs? No idea.

(For future: You won't need to reinstall Quicktime anymore, which was indeed commonly needed for media-related problems a while back. Unless a developer knows differently, I doubt there's any corner of any working viewer that can still use it for anything now.)

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm basically channeling @Whirly Fizzle here, specifically her comment on a recent jira.

If a "total clean boot" means a clean reinstall, then we'll assume the viewer installation (which can cause this) isn't the problem in this case.

Most likely, then, some anti-virus has forgotten it's supposed to allow SlPlugin and/or c to run (maybe because it didn't see a response to a dialog asking whether it should allow one of these weird "CEF" helper programs do what they must to make SL media work). You'll need to add these to your anti-virus program's whitelist, the details for doing so will depend on that specific anti-virus program.

Maybe it's perfectly normal, but I'm a little surprised that the viewer is trying to load a web page—the "text/html" mime stuff—with every teleport. Maybe if certain windows are open, or with certain HUDs? No idea.

(For future: You won't need to reinstall Quicktime anymore, which was indeed commonly needed for media-related problems a while back. Unless a developer knows differently, I doubt there's any corner of any working viewer that can still use it for anything now.)

There are no HUDS.

All attachments like scanners are removed.

I realize that about Quicktime but since the advice was to reinstall Quicktime a few years ago, I tried that.

I put in the exceptions.

It didn't make any difference.

I don't see how this is related to the AV when the error is about media. So I was thinking it's something about how the inworld browser is checked off or not (tried different things), media is on or off (tried all or none).

It still persists.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't see how this is related to the AV when the error is about media.

I tried to condense what Whirly said, and left out the answer to that:

Antivirus software tends to hate executables launched by another program because it's often the marker for malware.

… where dullahan_host and SlPlugin are executables launched by the viewer to show media. I believe you're correct to consider the in-world browser, too, and (I think) web-driven UI elements such as Search. But apparently none of this is helping. I have no other ideas, unless you happen to have more than one anti-virus program or something else somehow preventing those executables from running.

Here's what the log says about that file you mentioned:

This looks to me like a problem on LL's side:

\SecondLifeViewer\\SLPlugin.exe
2021-05-03T19:51:30Z WARNING #Plugin# newview/llviewermedia.cpp(1776) LLViewerMediaImpl::newSourceFromMediaType : ONCE: plugin initialization failed for mime type: text/html
2021-05-03T19:51:30Z WARNING #Media# newview/llviewermedia.cpp(2585) LLViewerMediaImpl::navigateInternal : Couldn't navigate to: https://viewer-splash.secondlife.com/?channel=Second Life Release&grid=Agni&lang=en&login_content_version=2&os=Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit&sourceid=&version=6.4.18 (558266) as there is no media type for: text/html

It's not loading SL's own splash screen?

I unchecked "play media on other avatars" and "play media automatically" -- I still get this error not only on each fresh teleport, but on every attempt to edit an object. Hugely annoying.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

17 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's not loading SL's own splash screen?

Yeah, that's probably the first media failure, unable to load the splash screen because it wasn't able to launch SLPlugin.exe for some reason. Maybe the log file has some other hints about why llprocess.cpp can't get that SLPlugin executable to launch.

It seems unlikely it would try to load that splash screen over and over with each teleport, so there's probably other media things it tries to do, which might be a hint of a workaround, but this seems to confirm that the underlying cause is that the SLPlugin program won't run. That's consistent with it being blocked by antivirus but I'm sure there could be other reasons.

(Just checking: it's that same "html/text" mime type error message when you merely try to edit an object? I wouldn't have expected the editor to do any media stuff at all, so I'm stumped.)

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, that's probably the first media failure, unable to load the splash screen because it wasn't able to launch SLPlugin.exe for some reason. Maybe the log file has some other hints about why llprocess.cpp can't get that SLPlugin executable to launch.

It seems unlikely it would try to load that splash screen over and over with each teleport, so there's probably other media things it tries to do, which might be a hint of a workaround, but this seems to confirm that the underlying cause is that the SLPlugin program won't run. That's consistent with it being blocked by antivirus but I'm sure there could be other reasons.

(Just checking: it's that same "html/text" mime type error message when you merely try to edit an object? I wouldn't have expected the editor to do any media stuff at all, so I'm stumped.)

Yes, yes. Exact same message on editing any object, and on teleport.

Well, I have sent the entire set of logs to Support, I'll see what happens.

I put SLPlugin etc in as exceptions into AVG.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.