one prim mesh

KoUsagiHime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Candide LeMay said:

Is it even correct to call such people "creator"? More like destroyer

Most "creators" are like that, sadly. I mean, it's okay if you start doing mesh, everybody started at some point and learned how to do it. But if you are a "famous" brand and still create high-polygon sh*it, there is no excuse. That's just greedy money making without caring about performance to everybody else. So yeah, there are a lot of destroyers, easy to identify, because they take part in nearly all events per month to just make money. Good mesh takes time to create. Without a team working for you, 1-2 events per month is probably the maximum you can do if you create optimized game ready mesh.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tonk Tomcat said:

Most "creators" are like that, sadly. I mean, it's okay if you start doing mesh, everybody started at some point and learned how to do it. But if you are a "famous" brand and still create high-polygon sh*it, there is no excuse. That's just greedy money making without caring about performance to everybody else. So yeah, there are a lot of destroyers, easy to identify, because they take part in nearly all events per month to just make money. Good mesh takes time to create. Without a team working for you, 1-2 events per month is probably the maximum you can do if you create optimized game ready mesh.

I agree with all of that but would want to add that this problem is not only something on "creators'" (or "destroyers'") end. A lot of users just don't understand how things work because they are your typical common end user. All they see is the result, and if it looks nice, it gets purchased. On top of that, all those people buying are used to get new content presented daily. Many business owners also try to get a bit of the cake by offering quick & dirty releases for an apple and a dime. The end result is people who fell for the traps of greedy business people feeding man-made expectations. Worse than that, they are often enough not willing to open their eyes if you tell them how much they contribute to littering the grid unnecessarily by stuffing their inventories. I made that mistake of imprudent shopping sprees for the longest time myself, and it is only thanks to creator friends that I unlearnt that habit.

Last but not least, there are creators like you who constantly try to raise awareness in their customers as well. However, it seems like you all fight your own battles, and so your important input gets way too easily lost. I am aware, it is hard to fight against a fast paced market when it would be needed that everyone takes a deep breath, takes a few steps back and focuses on creating optimized content, as well as making customers getting used again to be patient for new releases. I still have hope that more and more people are willing to gauge their purchases, and support those creators who aim for optimized content. 

• Like 1

ok you guys i got it! thank all of you for your help. at one time i was a big creator and i just fell behind with the new mesh stuff. Blender - Using the Decimate Geometry tool to reduce triangle count on a skinned mesh – Sansar | Help - Support, Community Forums, and Knowledge Base. This is what helped me the most and now i can create better stuff without a stuffed bunny costing 10 prims LOL.

AGAIN THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! you guys are the best :)

Edited by KoUsagiHime
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, KoUsagiHime said:

You can do it directly? Oof. I have a better idea: use the Decimate modifier instead. Then you don't have to apply it until you need to, or let it be applied on export while always retaining the original for later tweaking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, Spider Mycron said:

With blender you can have a complete building by one or 2 prims totally

Yes, it's not even difficult.

But can you do it without sacrificing the LoD? That is the real challenge.

A building needs to have solid outer walls at any view distance even with LoD factor as low as 0. With LoD factor 1.25 there should be no annoying distortions or obviously missign details at any distance and with LoD factor 2 no visible changes or LoD swaps whatsoever.

If you can do that, good for you and yes, please teach others how!

If you can't, do whatever you like with your own builds but don't try to fool others into using shoddy building techniques.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.