Group Chat Failure

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but since group IM is hosted on a Server, I guess this is the right forum? I don't know what is going on but Firestorm Support English and several other group chats have been completely down all day today (Thursday March 4th in the UK).  There has been no official comment on this on the Grid Status page, or any of the Blogs.

Does anyone know what is going on and when this is likely to be fixed?

The issue is not like other times when the chat sent is either not accepted by the server or simply does not appear either to the group or the sender.  Today the group simply will not open and on trying to open it one gets an immediate error message.  So, LL what is going on?

21 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but since group IM is hosted on a Server, I guess this is the right forum? I don't know what is going on but Firestorm Support English and several other group chats have been completely down all day today (Thursday March 4th in the UK).  There has been no official comment on this on the Grid Status page, or any of the Blogs.

Does anyone know what is going on and when this is likely to be fixed?

The issue is not like other times when the chat sent is either not accepted by the server or simply does not appear either to the group or the sender.  Today the group simply will not open and on trying to open it one gets an immediate error message.  So, LL what is going on?

The issue was brought up earlier today in the general.forum with one resident getting this response

45 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

I can now read group chat.  Rocko Linden told me to clear cache, and restart my viewer. After I did that, it worked. If you have the same problem, then try to do what I did.

First clear cache, then loggoff from SL. Then logg back on. If that doesn't work, then file a ticket, or if you have, then update your ticket. If you are premium, then you can use live chat.

Nothing in Status about this.

Clearing cache (you have to re-log for that to take effect) is unusual advice, and suggests a viewer problem. Something is reported about the SL Viewer, texture corruption, leading to a rollback of the default version. But I suspect I am seeing the same problem, and I run Firestorm under Linux. The last chat I have logged for the Firestorm Support group is timestamoed [2021/03/03 14:42]

So how can it be a viewer problem, and how can clearing cache fix it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arabellajones said:

Nothing in Status about this.

Clearing cache (you have to re-log for that to take effect) is unusual advice, and suggests a viewer problem. Something is reported about the SL Viewer, texture corruption, leading to a rollback of the default version. But I suspect I am seeing the same problem, and I run Firestorm under Linux. The last chat I have logged for the Firestorm Support group is timestamoed [2021/03/03 14:42]

So how can it be a viewer problem, and how can clearing cache fix it?

No idea but the advice was given by @Rocko LindenMaybe a Linden could explain.

• Haha 1

I am carefully backing away from the JIRA before I say something rude. It's a tool designed for management and control of workers. not for dealing with customers.

But this is the error message I get in Firestorm. Not every group, but it looks like a server problem.

949103324_Screenshot_2021-03-05_08-50-39-FirestormSupporterrormessage.png.4706944a1524505f904cc2d16e40b07f.png

I checked my connection. No apparent problems, ping times from the UK are at usual levels for North America, slightly better than for the old data centre.

This IS a server problem. Clearing the viewer  Cache will do NOTHING.

To be clear, clearing the viewer cache WILL trigger a refresh of connections, but in order for the issue to be fixed, the server issue needs to be corrected first.

That error message is clearly NOT originating at the client, it is originating at the server.

The fact that the problem is observed in multiple viewers, most of which did not change in the last few days absolves the client. 

That LL broke their own viewer is THEIR problem.

Edited by Aishagain
Additional info
  • Like 3

I have an assortment of groups all working fine. The ones not working and timing out with the error posted above, are groups with the UUID beginning with '3' such as Firestorm Support English, Blueberry Store VIP, and another clothing group.  The group chat server needs to be rebooted again. Enough with the clear cache BS. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.