Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-02-22

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

No Roll

Second Life RC:

Version 2021-02-17.556138 will be deployed to RC Oranges (a group of simulators smaller than what used to be called RC BlueSteel) to test a different method of getting performance improvements as we continue to monitor Apples after some issues with data collection prevented us from being able to move forward confidently to all RCs.

Version 2021-02-17.556138 (or a rebuilt version of it, final build number TBD) will be deployed to all RCs. This version is a hybrid of what was on the Apples channel last week (Oranges did not show improvements in the areas we were monitoring and has been retired) as well as some additional changes to bring performance optimizations to homesteads and openspaces.

Patch notes:

Release Notes

• Internal fixes aimed at optimizing performance

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2021-02-17.556138.html

Scheduled Wednesday 2021-02-25 08:00-9:30 PST

Update @ 2021-02-23 18:20 SLT: the pending Second Life RC roll for Wednesday has been cancelled.

Update @ 2021-02-24 14:30 SLT: we're letting Apples take another week while we re-evaluate going to all RCs with it, and are re-tooling Oranges in the meantime. There should be less downtime than usual with the 2021-02-25 Oranges deploy.

On Region Restarts:

We'll be restarting Second Life Server regions that have been up for more than 10 days on Tuesday, February 23 between 03:00 and 11:00 PST.

• Thanks 4

@Mazidox Linden It would be interesting to know what kind of performance optimization it is and whether you can compare it to the status quo if you monitor your region in the statistics bar. An increase in performance in the area of script execution would be more than desirable, especially in regions like ours, which are thematically the same all year round and use a lot of 4 season products, it would be desirable if the script execution were massively increased.

Edited by Miller Thor

We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the Second Life RC BlueSteel channel on Thursday, February 25th, beginning at approximately 8:00 AM PDT. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects and remember to save all builds. Please check this blog for updates.
Posted on Feb 24, 14:03 PST

OK, now I thought that LL had abandoned these names for the various RC channels.  Now suddenly we have Bluesteel again after Apples and Oranges were abandoned. Am I being obtuse to ask what the Hades is going on?

• Thanks 2

@Solar Legion I see...so they hadn't enough code names with what they had, so we got Apples and Oranges as well as Snack... well I guess you're right but all that tells me is that LL spend more time dreaming up fancy names for their test packages that they do fixing the World Map!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.