BOM Help Please!

heidi412

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First of all I apologize for asking so many questions! I am only in my second week with SL and am totally in love with all of it! I'm learning a ton and have watched pretty much every "for dummies" video out there with regards to creating a mesh avatar. I have also learned that watching video's does not work for me in the least. I have to follow written step by step instructions and do myself.

With that being said, is there such a list out there? Would anyone be willing to help me with this? 

I'm stuck basically at which point do I add what to activate BOM? I'm using a Catwa head Catya, Maitreya body Lara, Maze skin Gina. What do I do after I have added all this to get BOM to work? I"m doing something wrong and just can't figure it out. Thank you for any help!!

4 minutes ago, heidi412 said:

First of all I apologize for asking so many questions! I am only in my second week with SL and am totally in love with all of it! I'm learning a ton and have watched pretty much every "for dummies" video out there with regards to creating a mesh avatar. I have also learned that watching video's does not work for me in the least. I have to follow written step by step instructions and do myself.

With that being said, is there such a list out there? Would anyone be willing to help me with this? 

I'm stuck basically at which point do I add what to activate BOM? I'm using a Catwa head Catya, Maitreya body Lara, Maze skin Gina. What do I do after I have added all this to get BOM to work? I"m doing something wrong and just can't figure it out. Thank you for any help!!

Although geared for a male avatar, the step by step is the same for everyone.

https://virtualbloke.com/noob-dude-a-style-101-for-the-second-life-male-avatar

• Like 1

There is generally a button on the HUD for the body and on the HUD for the head for activating BOM on the respective item.  When you activate BOM, if you had been wearing an alpha to hide the entire system body and/or system head, you need to take the alphas off. 

For skin, you don't activate BOM, you wear a BOM skin (rather than using an applier).  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, heidi412 said:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Maitreya-Bakes-on-Mesh-Relay-HUD/17978540

26 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

I'm pretty certain that this relay is no longer needed - I think that at least the last 2 versions of Lara (versions 5.x which were released in early 2020) have been updated to have BOM compatibility built in to the regular Lara HUD.   

Edit to add:

From the Maitreya web site "Lara Mesh Body v5 Help" link for "Skin/Base" tab of the Lara HUD:

On the right side of the second row skin presets, you will find the "Bakes on Mesh (BoM)" button. When toggled on, you body will be set to BoM mode. This will bake all textures worn on your default avatar to your mesh body. It is important to detach your alpha layer first. (If your body becomes invisible when you switch to BoM, you have forgotten to remove your Alpha layer)

Edited by MoiraKathleen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I'm pretty certain that this relay is no longer needed - I think that at least the last 2 versions of Lara (versions 5.x which were released in early 2020) have been updated to have BOM compatibility built in to the regular Lara HUD.   

Edit to add:

From the Maitreya web site "Lara Mesh Body v5 Help" link for "Skin/Base" tab of the Lara HUD:

On the right side of the second row skin presets, you will find the "Bakes on Mesh (BoM)" button. When toggled on, you body will be set to BoM mode. This will bake all textures worn on your default avatar to your mesh body. It is important to detach your alpha layer first. (If your body becomes invisible when you switch to BoM, you have forgotten to remove your Alpha layer)

Welp, can you tell I have not updated this mesh body in awhile !  ¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯

I also wanted to add that your particular skin that you have was not made for a Catwa head , but since it is bom will technically go on the mesh head. What you may notice is that the mouth might appeared stretched  as well as strange stretching around your nostrils and eyes. This is because each mesh head brand is shaped differently .

The designer for Deetalez posted some pictures to illustrate this:

BOM testing - Catwa HEAD *Catya*

And thank you for question. I know most people here are happy to help where we can or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Edited by Laurel Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.