Now that FS is going EEP, how do we 'import' our old WL files?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see the new folder in Library > Environments, and there the pre preloaded skies and water and days. I know I can make a new sky and save it. But how do I take my old xml WL file and import it? is there a process? I tried to be sneaky and dumped a copy of my old WL  xmls into the file app_settings>windlight>skies - nope that didnt work

As it is now even making a new sky "sucks" vs just edit a preset, make your changes, then save as . Even though least with FS implantation I am seeing one possible goal for EPP - one cannot just 'copy' a region setting and save it as your own. But at the same time, my process of setting a new light for a event would be finding a WL I made before that is close, make the changes I want then save it as a new file. Looks as if this method is no longer possible on EEP now ((   the 'personal lighting' can modify, but not save the current settings

I need to get this figured out before the old version of FS is phased out (hopefully we can use that for a while still) I have the new FS in a different drive so I can continue using the old "windlight" version for now while trying to figure out EEP

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Check the KNOWLEDGE BASE or you can look at this article I wrote awhile ago. 

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/04/eep-versus-windlight-another-new-normal.html

thanks, I think I found the import after some more trial and error, I suppose it'll work, honestly, I think WL was easier to create and edit, but the main takeaway so far I have seen is if a person creates a environment for a region - it can't be 'copied' , ie, like in the old WL, just do a save as and rename it how you like. Unfortunately for now it seems there is no bulk import, but hey, least Linden didn't decide to charge us 10LS for every WL we import!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

thanks, I think I found the import after some more trial and error, I suppose it'll work, honestly, I think WL was easier to create and edit, but the main takeaway so far I have seen is if a person creates a environment for a region - it can't be 'copied' , ie, like in the old WL, just do a save as and rename it how you like. Unfortunately for now it seems there is no bulk import, but hey, least Linden didn't decide to charge us 10LS for every WL we import!

I am pretty sure that I did a test with the Linden viewer and did copy an existing EEP sky. But it was awhile ago and that may have changed.   Did you do a test to see? 

On 12/11/2020 at 11:45 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I am pretty sure that I did a test with the Linden viewer and did copy an existing EEP sky. But it was awhile ago and that may have changed.   Did you do a test to see? 

I did and didn't see a way to do that. You can modify the sky using the Personal button, but there is no save there, If you hit new sky it reverts to default noon. Load or import won't get you the current region sky either. I suppose makes sense that sim creators want to ensure their environments are propetairy and can't be "stolen". The one thing I haven't found yet was saving it in the objects folder, I remember on the beta when I tried it it did that, now it saves a new sky you make to a new folder 'settings'

I also wonder if this will lead to a 'lockdown' of region settings where one cannot change the environment even in their own viewer - this of course was the case for Sansar, and I am sure there are plenty of sim creators here that feel users shouldn't be able to change the environments they set for photos or videos

Edited by Jackson Redstar
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the guide, but sorry, but simply taking away the old windlights and replacing them with a new, unwieldy (and still buggy) editor without any opt in/opt out option is an inherintly stupid move by LL. You do not trash a feature that has been around for years and was way more convenient, especially for sim owners (i.e. people that habitually pay for L$ to pay their SL rent). 

Edited by DeanFiend
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.