2.6.8 230359 fails on Mac !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I get the DNS error message.  The exact same error message I have been getting since applying the "update" to viewer 2.6.2.xxxxx

I am running Mac OS X v. 10.6.7

A "fix" that requires me to manually add DNS entries in my network settinngs is not a "fix."  It is a work-around.  It is a hack.

The fact remains that this flaw has existed in every "Official Viewer" released by Linden Labs since 2.6.2.xxxxx

My being able to apply a work-around does not mean the issue is solved.

You're right. It is a workaround and not a solution. 

I have seen the same thing asked before, but was wondering if this had anything to do with using 10.5.x. Which is not the case since you are on the latest OS version. I take it the DNS trick did not work?

I forgot to ask, though, what kind of Mac you have.

I am wondering about the whole thing, cause I got a couple of portable macs and have been running every version without these issues. At the moment, I don't have a solution, but I would like to come up with one.

Just to be sure; did you run repair disk rights and the periodical maintenance scripts your mac should run from time to time? I don't think it will necessarily help, but it definitely won't hurt.

Also, perhaps you should try the latest beta - 2.6.9 - or the mesh development viewer. I know there is some focus on bugs on the Mac in the latter one. If it says it will log you in on the preview grid on the login screen, press Cmd+Shift+G and select Agni from the drop down menu that shows.

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

Thanks Cerise. I'm sure you know more about this than I do, so I don't really have anything to say about that.
:)
Funny, though, how it affect some Macs and not others?

Do you know what can be done about it?

- Luc -

It is usually the DNS configuration on the system, some setups will trigger the bug and some will not. It could be that the default settings changed a little between OS X releases, Apple definitely likes to play with things that negotiate name spaces, over and over and over. :P  That is why many people can cure this with a manual change to their name severs. I cannot make the bug reproduce here, I would stomp on it if I could.

Hehe. They must have changed it within the same version of the system, because I'm on the same version as the OP, and have no issues whatsoever. I guess there are different builds even for the same version, and some little parameter is different enough to cause these things to happen. (I'm guessing, but will not be surprised if that is the case. :D))

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

The rejoicing comment was added today, I see. Wether the fix will be in the viewer that is now in beta remains to bee seen. I have my doubts, but if it is on the fast track, perhaps...

- Luc -

OK, the patches look like a c-ares build change, plus some belts and braces in the LL code to try a little harder if there is still a failure. The beta is not new enough to have those patches, and they did not hit snowstorm yet, but the patch is in Oz's branch and things tend to move quickly from there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.