Optimization of a Sim Build

Darchitect

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

Does anyone know anyone who could help with looking at our new sim build to advise on optimization of scripts etc so as to reduce lag?

We are happy to hire someone to do this.

If anyone could contact us (darchitect resident) or Kalebjaymes Resident

Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 11:25 PM, Darchitect said:

Hi,

Does anyone know anyone who could help with looking at our new sim build to advise on optimization of scripts etc so as to reduce lag?

We are happy to hire someone to do this.

If anyone could contact us (darchitect resident) or Kalebjaymes Resident

Thank you!!

I have not heard of someone who does this as a separate job distinct from building. A good builder would incorporate these good practices into what I am doing. 

Aside from scripts and mesh weight, you have to think of textures. When 1024 is used instead of 512, it creates more of a load on the sim. 

• Like 4

On 12/14/2020 at 7:38 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

I have not heard of someone who does this as a separate job distinct from building. A good builder would incorporate these good practices into what I am doing. 

Aside from scripts and mesh weight, you have to think of textures. When 1024 is used instead of 512, it creates more of a load on the sim. 

In general that is true but one 1024 can be better than mutliple 512s.

Where 1024s are used to texture multiple surfaces in different sections of the texture 1024s it can be an optimisation.

• Like 3

It is an age-old mantra in SL that you must not use 1024s but use 512s. But like everything else, it depends on what else is going on in that sim and what the purpose is. The regular SL viewer doesn't let you put 1024 textures into private islands and homesteads, only 512, apparently as a way to discourage beating on the servers. But Firestorm lets you put them in, I put them in -- because they are better looking -- and there doesn't seem to be more lag. No one seems to complain. It's a very rare occasion when I will log on with Firestorm, which each time destroys the ability to use regular SL for SLURLs on outside websites related to SL, and you have to reinstall SL to get rid of that problem. 

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.