How do I modify the height of the hover text above a tip jar?

Rockridge Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

You can try either of two tricks. One is to insert blank lines by including "\n" (without the quotes) wherever you want a carriage return/line feed.  The string "This is a hover text \n \n" will appear two lines higher than it would without the \n symbols.  The other is to put your hover text in an extra, transparent prim that you link to the one you are labeling.  If you do that, you can obviously move the invisible prim wherever you want it.

Remember, though, that the actual size and placement of hover text depends entirely on where the person viewing it is standing.  When you are close to hover text, it is small and close to the source.  The farther away you are, the larger (and fainter) it is, and the higher above the source. There's no way to control that.  Frankly, most experienced builders and scripters I know avoid hover text whenever possible because of this limitation (and because it's annoying and ugly as sin).  If you can use media on a prim or a static texture or even tool tips, you usually get a more pleasing effect. In your particular application, of course, hover text does seem the easiest, most logical choice. :smileytongue:

• Like 1

Another method I prefer to use is to have a prim in the tipjar that is where I want the hovertext to be.  Top or bottom, left or right, I just have that prim do the text and the rest of the jar is unchanged.  A simple linkedmessage to the hovertext prim is the only change to the tipjar script, and an even simpler script in the hovertext prim to set the text itself.  And you can even skip all of that if you make the hovertext prim the root of the device and the tip script goes in it, although I find that makes placement and rotation difficult.

If you're going to do that, you might as well save yourself the linked message and the extra script. Set the hover text in your spare prim with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(linkno,[PRIM_TEXT,"This is my hover text",<1.0,1.0,1.0>,1.0]) . You can also use SLPPF to get around needing to put the hover text script in the root prim, if you decide to use an existing child prim as the hover text source instead of adding an extra prim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.