CATZNIP viewer - some basic questions/ discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got a 'gaming' computer.  And I do wish to try CATZNIP.  I have heard CATZNIP viewer is 'better' for heavy shoppers like myself. 

questions:

- Is there were any very specific opinions as to why CATZNIP is better for shoppers?

- I would also like to know if anyone can share with me a few great things about CATZNIP and a few bad things about CATZNIP?  

- How is the SEARCH feature for inventory using CATZNIP?  Is it good/ bad/ similar to the FIRESTORM inventory search feature?

- What are the main reasons you feel CATZNIP is better than FIRESTORM?

- What are the main reasons you feel CATZNIP is not better than FIRESTORM?

There was, a year or two ago, someone in the Forums who was a big fan of Catznip and often posted her views about why she thought it was best, but she has not posted on the Forums for quite awhile.  It's been awhile since I've used Catznip, so I don't remember the specifics, but it seems that what she used to talk a lot about was something about how new folders were handled in inventory, which made it easier to manage things if you did a lot of shopping.  

Go ahead and download it and try it out. There is no harm in having multiple viewers installed.  It won't interfere with other viewers you have installed, so if you don't like it, you can easily just start using your preferred viewer again.  I think there is a Catznip user group inworld, so if there is, I'd suggest joining it in case you have questions specific to how to use one of it's features. 

Whether one viewer or a different viewer is 'better' is very subjective.  People have different hardware setups, use different graphic settings, have a different focus of what is most important or useful to them in a viewer, hang out in different locations, do different activities, have a preference for a particular user interface, etc., etc., etc.,  so the only way for you to know which viewer is best for you, is for you to try it out for yourself.

I think there is a Catznip user group inworld, so if there is, I'd suggest joining it in case you have questions specific to how to use one of it's features. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

I do wish to try CATZNIP

we can have more than one viewer installed on our computer. So best to download the Catznip viewer, install it and have a go

3 things that work for me with Catznip

1) it has the same look and feel (menus and dialogs) as the Linden viewer, so this is good for me as I often switch between the Linden viewer and it

2) Texture preview. When we put the cursor over a folder name, even when the folder is closed, then it will display/preview the first texture in the folder. Good when have a bunch of clothing folders. Don't have to open the folder and then open the store texture to see/remember what it is

3) When open a box and copy to inventory then it creates the folder in the folder containing the box, not as a top-level Inventory folder. I find this useful when get a whole bumch of demos from Marketplace. Easy to find and easy to delete

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

we can have more than one viewer installed on our computer. So best to download the Catznip viewer, install it and have a go

3 things that work for me with Catznip

1) it has the same look and feel (menus and dialogs) as the Linden viewer, so this is good for me as I often switch between the Linden viewer and it

2) Texture preview. When we put the cursor over a folder name, even when the folder is closed, then it will display/preview the first texture in the folder. Good when have a bunch of clothing folders. Don't have to open the folder and then open the store texture to see/remember what it is

3) When open a box and copy to inventory then it creates the folder in the folder containing the box, not as a top-level Inventory folder. I find this useful when get a whole bumch of demos from Marketplace. Easy to find and easy to delete

ty...  and ur right....  i will just try it out i guess.  im always hesitant to try these things.  Can i ask...  Does Catznip have issues like...  Being down, etc?  I always wonder about that.  And do you have an 'intel processor' or an 'AMD processor' on ur computer?  The Catznip site suggests an 'AMD' which i happen to not have.

1 hour ago, Sandra8675 said:

ty...  and ur right....  i will just try it out i guess.  im always hesitant to try these things.  Can i ask...  Does Catznip have issues like...  Being down, etc?  I always wonder about that.  And do you have an 'intel processor' or an 'AMD processor' on ur computer?  The Catznip site suggests an 'AMD' which i happen to not have.

You don't have to worry about the viewer itself "being down", in that the viewer is software that is running on your PC - as long as your PC meets the requirements for accessing SL and SL itself is not down, you should be fine.   

Catznip will work regardless of whether you have an Intel or AMD processor.  I just downloaded it again after seeing your post yesterday, to refresh my memory about it, and it ran fine on my PC which has an Intel processor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

i will just try it out i guess.

While you're trying it out, do yourself a favor and set up the Me/Quick Preferences FOLDER option (the suitcase icon ). It's kinda like the Firestorm "Favorite Wearables" feature, except you have complete control of its contents, and can even optionally choose among different folders for different sessions. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it in any other user interface, and now I find it really difficult to live without.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.