Invisible to Each Other

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Last night, I went to visit a friend at her skybox home, located just over 3000m up in a private estate region (Mephit 153, 226, 3206).  When I arrived, I could not see her, and she could not see me, even though radar showed we were only 3m apart.  We also could not see each other's Nearby Chat text, although IMs were not affected.  The land's Privacy setting was not enabled, and we were on the same parcel anyway.

I could occasionally see a glimpse of her...it looked as if she'd fly through the skybox from one side to the other, even though she was actually standing still next to me.

We both tried re-logging, and that did not affect the problem.  We then tried going to another region (Masocado), and there we could see each other normally.  We teleported back to her place, and we were both fine at first, but after a couple of minutes, we began to blink out, and then back, again.  Soon, we disappeared entirely to each other again.  I tried wearing a different outfit, and that did not help.

At a loss to explain the phenomenon, I filed a JIRA report.  If anyone else has experienced this and has an idea of what the problem is, I'd sure like to know about it!  The JIRA is at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229300

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Last night, I went to visit a friend at her skybox home, located just over 3000m up in a private estate region (Mephit 153, 226, 3206).  When I arrived, I could not see her, and she could not see me, even though radar showed we were only 3m apart.  We also could not see each other's Nearby Chat text, although IMs were not affected.  The land's Privacy setting was not enabled, and we were on the same parcel anyway.

I could occasionally see a glimpse of her...it looked as if she'd fly through the skybox from one side to the other, even though she was actually standing still next to me.

We both tried re-logging, and that did not affect the problem.  We then tried going to another region (Masocado), and there we could see each other normally.  We teleported back to her place, and we were both fine at first, but after a couple of minutes, we began to blink out, and then back, again.  Soon, we disappeared entirely to each other again.  I tried wearing a different outfit, and that did not help.

At a loss to explain the phenomenon, I filed a JIRA report.  If anyone else has experienced this and has an idea of what the problem is, I'd sure like to know about it!  The JIRA is at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229300

@Scylla Rhiadra and I have experienced this several times over the last few months. The most recent episode had us vanishing and re-appearing if we crossed a sort of "line of demarcation" in Scylla's bar. I quite enjoyed it!

ETA: Scylla said that her bar, and an earlier spot where this happened, where on the border between two parcels, both set to not show avatars off-parcel. Changing the setting fixed the problem. But, she's also seen the issue on the parcel she shares with a few other folks, where that is not the case.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

All I see is the reported location <153.0, 226.0, 3208.0> right next to a parcel border where both parcels are owned by the same land owner.

One parcel has parcel privacy active, the other, not.

This should account for the issue if one of you are on one parcel and the other, the other parcel.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.