Yacht clubs

Liv Simondsen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys, I am new to sailing and recently bought a sailboat and was looking for a yacht club who is populated ... i visited some but most are always empty. Do you know some With people in it who meet, talk and sail together? Any sim rating is ok for me, thanks in advance. I am on European time. 

1 hour ago, Liv Simondsen said:

Hello guys, I am new to sailing and recently bought a sailboat and was looking for a yacht club who is populated ... i visited some but most are always empty. Do you know some With people in it who meet, talk and sail together? Any sim rating is ok for me, thanks in advance. I am on European time. 

many are around the blake sea ..would be a good place to start, tp on the piled green dots. Many sailors are there for sailing, they could be everywhere. For real chats a active group might perhaps lead you to both.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:07 AM, Liv Simondsen said:

For event notices of races and cruises you can join SLSA, or the SLSC Groups.

For Cruises (off the top of my head) and sll times given in SLT:

Rainbow Sails YC runs cruises on Saturdays at 5am and Sunday at 10am.

Leeward Cruising Club (LCC) runs cruises on Sunday at 13:00 and Tuesdays at 17:00

Topless Sailors run a weekly cruise on Monday 1200

Topless Cruisers a weekly cruise on Tuesdays at 13:00

Celtic Bay YC runs a cruise 13:00 on Thursdays

Tradewinds YC runs a cruise at 13:00 on Fridays.

Worth checking out the European Sailing Association (ESA) and Flying Manta Yacht club too, they do run cruises but I am not sure of their time slot or the regularity of them.

Most of the cruises take the form of assembling before event time, all setting off on time with a DJ providing music to listen to on an external media player like VideoLan (VLC) or Winamp with an after party. Rainbow Sails is a bit different, they don't provide a DJ and have no after party, instead they have 2 regrouping points during the course of the route to keep people relatively close together and to enhance a community feel.

Each group will produce a notice notecard with huds and instructions before the cruise, if it is your first cruise it is particularly important to read and try the huds out beforehand, whilst turning up 20 to 30 minutes before the start will get you support using the huds and in some cases the communicators, 30 minutes isn't a lot of time to teach someone everything and can get frustrating on the organisers if they are having to support a number of people who could have learnt for themselves just by reading the notecards beforehand, whilst at the same time dealing with the other business involved in the start. By all means ask questions of the organisers or in the group before the start but you will get a better response if your questions are obviously informed by some reading.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

If you don't like waiting for a scheduled race event, but still want to compete, there's an alternative called "Hotlaps".

Hotlaps publishes a weekly sailing itinerary, a course.  Participants sail this itinerary at any time they want, and their time is recorded.  In this way, you can challenge yourself and compare your results against others.

https://hotlapsslsailing.wixsite.com/hotlaps/more-stats

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.