Firestorm frame rate DROPS after new update?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys. Hope you’re all well. Really need some advice, not the most tech savvy person in the world but since the new update when I check the Advanced lighting box my frame rate drops really bad. Not even when I put the shadows on but just the advanced lighting. That normally only happens when I put shadows on. But now when I put advanced lighting on it becomes SUPER choppy. And then when I put shadows on it crashes completely..  Only happening since the most recent update?

All help is appreciated ❤️❤️

56 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@InventedSuicide By "most recent update" do you mean the latest viewer update, ie 6.3.2 or the long awaited Windows 10 20H1 update?

The latest viewer update is 6.3.9.58205, not 6.2.3.

1 hour ago, InventedSuicide said:

Hi guys. Hope you’re all well. Really need some advice, not the most tech savvy person in the world but since the new update when I check the Advanced lighting box my frame rate drops really bad. Not even when I put the shadows on but just the advanced lighting. That normally only happens when I put shadows on. But now when I put advanced lighting on it becomes SUPER choppy. And then when I put shadows on it crashes completely..  Only happening since the most recent update?

All help is appreciated ❤️❤️

Have you tried restarting your PC yet?

I did nothing special and seem to have a newer version -- this from a previous "auto-update" as none showed up today.

image.png.ae076845317dba248f4090518d867d15.png

That being said a quick test gave me 75fps with atmospheric shaders off and shadows on and 45 fps with atmospheric shaders ON as well as shadows on.  I have NO idea if this is or has been normal as I always run in mid-ultra esce mode -- just no DOF. 

EDIT:  my original comment down here was worded incorrectly and confusingly BOTH (oh my). 

Edited by Chic Aeon

51 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I did nothing special and seem to have a newer version -- this from a previous "auto-update" as none showed up today.

image.png.ae076845317dba248f4090518d867d15.png

That being said a quick test gave me 75fps with atmospheric shaders off and shadows on and 45 fps with atmospheric shaders ON as well as shadows on.  I have NO idea if this is or has been normal as I always run in mid-ultra esce mode -- just no DOF. 

EDIT:  my original comment down here was worded incorrectly and confusingly BOTH (oh my). 

Um, your version is newer because you are not using Firestorm, but the official LL viewer.  

• Like 2

@InventedSuicide: I hadn't opened my viewer, I did not realise there was an update today!  I'm now running 6.3.9 without any issues, so in my case, it seems fine!

ETA:  If you are having issues running FS 6.3.9 please post your system specs (Help>About>Firestorm).  You can do that once the viewer is open but before logging in, if that helps.

Edited by Aishagain

3 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Um, your version is newer because you are not using Firestorm, but the official LL viewer.  

OK. I don't normally use the Linden viewer but "mistakenly read" the OP as being Linden because of the "update" and because this is the Second Life Viewer forum :D.  Yes, didn't know about the FS newness this morning.  Checking in FS very little difference for me  with ALM on the PREVIOUS (BOM) Firestorm.  

SO if there was very little difference previous to the new FS release and there is much more now -- AND the same holds true on the Linden viewer (in my test anyway) then we could suspect it is Linden code that is the culprit?  HMMM.  Not my area for sure. 

Meanwhile I see that the photo issues were fixed so that's great news for me.   I will install soon and see if I have the same results. BUT as said I always use advanced lighting. 

OK. CONFIRMING the difference with just ALM on and off.  80fps in comparison to 120 fps.  NOTE HOWEVER that (for me) the 80 fps was twenty percent better (same place same settings eight minutes later) than the FS BOM viewer that I had been using. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.