Changing names question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have few questions about the change of names in SL - maybe sound silly, but its something that just came to mind, if anyone can explain to me, i´d be thankfull.

1- Is changing name like getting a new identity? If a friend of mine changes name, will I be able to tell its him?

2- Is changing names like starting SL again? If a person changes his name, will his friend list remain?

3- If someone on my blocked list change the name, will he remain on my blocked list?

Not sure if this was explained in another post, if it was, please forgive me.

Edited by Cesartje
typo (as always)

19 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

I have few questions about the change of names in SL - maybe sound silly, but its something that just came to mind, if anyone can explain to me, i´d be thankfull.

1- Is changing name like getting a new identity? If a friend of mine changes name, will I be able to tell its him?

2- Is changing names like starting SL again? If a person changes his name, will his friend list remain?

3- If someone on my blocked list change the name, will he remain on my blocked list?

Not sure if this was explained in another post, if it was, please forgive me.

1 - Sort of.  His name will automatically change in your Friends list, but you might not know the new name is him unless he tells you.

2 - No.  You'll still have your same inventory and Groups and Friends.

3 - Yes.  The block list will automatically update with any name changes.

• Thanks 1

Read this LL support article for these questions, and more

1. If someone has your old name (calling card, or they blocked you--two examples) they can find your new name. If they don't, they can't without asking (or inferring from your location, your look, the contents of your profile, etc). So you could tell a store owner "I used to be X" and they could verify this for support, redelivery, or whatever. 

2. No, your friends list will remain. You _will_ lose your viewer settings though, so back those up. Or find the viewer settings folder with your Resident name and rename it before logging back in. 

3. Their old name remains on the blocklist and they remain blocked. 

Edited by missyrideout
  • Thanks 1

Just to confuse you further, there are actually THREE ways of changing your name in SL.

1. The new "pay to get a last name" feature.
  2. Display Names.  You can have pretty much any name you like as an "additional" name.  Your username will remain, and people who choose to will still be able to see it...but most people will call you by your Display Name, out of politeness.  Display Names are free and you can choose a new one once per week.
  3. Create an "alt", a new SL account.  Most long-time SL residents have at least one alt, and some have many.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

Read this LL support article for these questions, and more

1. If someone has your old name (calling card, or they blocked you--two examples) they can find your new name. If they don't, they can't without asking (or inferring from your location, your look, the contents of your profile, etc). So you could tell a store owner "I used to be X" and they could verify this for support, redelivery, or whatever. 

2. No, your friends list will remain. You _will_ lose your viewer settings though, so back those up. Or find the viewer settings folder with your Resident name and rename it before logging back in. 

3. Their old name remains on the blocklist and they remain blocked. 

2 -- I totally forgot about that view setting stuff.  I really need to make myself a big note on that one.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
Removed some stuff -- misread intially

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.