Can this laptop run Second Life ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can this computer run Second Life ?

Acer Laptop Aspire 5 NX.HDGAA.002 Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8265U (1.60 GHz) 8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce MX250 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
Max Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
Processor 1.6 GHz Core i5 8250U
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Memory Speed 2400 MHz
Hard Drive 512 GB flash_memory_solid_state
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce MX250
Chipset Brand nvidia
Card Description Dedicated
Graphics Card Ram Size 8 GB

It's interesting for someone who is not all that computer savvy to read the system requirements for Second Life.  Some of the info. doesn't translate to what the specs read when you look to buy.  Just wondered if the specs on this computer were high enough to have a reasonably good experience.  Guess,  I'll have to wait and find out. lol

thanks

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

It's interesting for someone who is not all that computer savvy to read the system requirements for Second Life.  Some of the info. doesn't translate to what the specs read when you look to buy.  Just wondered if the specs on this computer were high enough to have a reasonably good experience.  Guess,  I'll have to wait and find out. lol

What is a "reasonably good experience" to you? 60 FPS? 30? 10? Don't say "no lag."

The laptop seems "okay" but I'm used to much faster processors (1.6 vs 4.3 Ghz), more RAM (8 vs 16 GB), etc. That laptop is almost certainly not something I would use for SL, but no laptop is.

A better question might be "this is my old computer, is this better or at least as good?"

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I like that it has 8Gb of graphics ram.  The more of that the better.  But a 1.6Ghz cpu is going to limit things a bit.  It will run, and be fine for standing about and fiddling with clothes and chatting.  Don't forget the other BIG factor in using SL, the internet connection, it's speed AND the latency - even Wulfie's hyper-desktop can't fix that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I like that it has 8Gb of graphics ram. 

I actually don't find any confirmation for those specs and it would be rather... untypical for such a card, you might say. Apparently, Nvidia does their humble share of trick or treat with the MX250 seriers as a mild upgrade to their MX150 series: there is a version with higher power consumption which is said to run fair and a limited version which can turn out rather, well, limited. Typically 2 GB VRAM, some versions with 4. But 8?

The CPU power greatly depends on the laptop's overall setup in terms of cooling. It seems to be in favour of single-core performance, which is nice for SL.

It's no gaming rig, it's no plain media player either. So overall: how much is it? I'd put it as ok for around $600ish.

5 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I actually don't find any confirmation for those specs and it would be rather... untypical for such a card, you might say. Apparently, Nvidia does their humble share of trick or treat with the MX250 seriers as a mild upgrade to their MX150 series: there is a version with higher power consumption which is said to run fair and a limited version which can turn out rather, well, limited. Typically 2 GB VRAM, some versions with 4. But 8?

The CPU power greatly depends on the laptop's overall setup in terms of cooling. It seems to be in favour of single-core performance, which is nice for SL.

It's no gaming rig, it's no plain media player either. So overall: how much is it? I'd put it as ok for around $600ish.

It's more likely that the product info was mis-labeled by whoever set up the page. I haven't been able to find a version of that graphics card with 8GB memory either.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.