How to learn to be a DJ Host

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am posing the question for some feed back for someone who has never hosted for a DJ on SL.  Yes, all the credentials of engaging and fun are checked but have no experience or idea what is expected or how to do the tasks which would be required.   Furthermore, most clubs require past experience.  How would this person get over that hurdle?  Is there an (as perhaps, off the wall as it sounds) inworld course?  I would appreciate any and all feedback.  

Thank you so very much.

1 hour ago, KlintonBoyle said:

I am posing the question for some feed back for someone who has never hosted for a DJ on SL.  Yes, all the credentials of engaging and fun are checked but have no experience or idea what is expected or how to do the tasks which would be required.   Furthermore, most clubs require past experience.  How would this person get over that hurdle?  Is there an (as perhaps, off the wall as it sounds) inworld course?  I would appreciate any and all feedback.  

Thank you so very much.

Many clubs don't require past experience, some even train. Here are some tips and some general guidelines and common rules to being a host:

- The first basic thing you must know is how to send notices. Typically a DJ has a two hour set, and you are likely to have to send a notice prior to a set, and another halftime notice after hour 1. Once you are in the group, you will be able to look at archived notices to get a feel for what goes out in a notice. Or you can just join a club group and watch for a bit to get a feel for what hosts are doing there before stepping up to do the job.

- Next basic requirement - Life happens, but generally, be prepared to be there for the two hours. Don't go afk. Don't look at it as easy money and clock in and out. Do it because you enjoy it and the rest will take care of itself. Do it for the money and you'll probably wind up making less and looking bad.

- Second basic requirement - promote the DJ in chat, particularly remind the crowd to tip them. Don't overdo it - my rule of thumb when hosting is generally once per hour.

- Never, ever, EVER promote yourself or your tip jar on stage. Its tacky, at best.

- Greet people. Use radar to watch for people arriving. Say hello when they do. This can be hard in large crowds. Don't panic but do your absolute best.

- Don't blow off sets because at the moment you don't feel like hosting. When a club hires you, you have a responsibility just like if you got hired by Walmart. You won't make every shift, just make sure your reasoning isn't anything close to "I'd rather do something else right now"

These are the basics. Good hosts will also show up early, leave late, tip the previous and following workers, and work/communicate with their DJ.

I almost forgot. Promote the club. If they have live singers, games, cuddle areas, or anything else - Talk about it. Get to know the club and find out things, although you might be asked to talk about specific things also.

Edited by Adam Spark
  • Like 3

DJ's do need some skills, like music knowledge and a good selection of songs to play.  A DJ is an entertainer, you need to put some thought into your set, choosing songs that create a mood, have some patter between songs to lead from one song to the next.  Most places will have both a host and a  DJ so that you can focus on the music, respond to requests and such.  The host generally will send the notices for you and greet people( you should both greet people, don't use an auto greeter, make it personal) and handle club rules and questions. Good DJs and hosts, work together to set the mood and give the people a good time. The host will remind folks to tip you and the venue, you should remind them to tip the host and the venue but don't over do it.  The more you say things like that, the more likely people will just ignore it as club noise. Less is more.  Don't DJ if you don't love the music you are playing and want to share it.

• Like 1

Besides greeting people, sending out notices, promoting the club and the DJ...

A good host/hostess also gets the local chat going and keeps it going.  Tell jokes, banter with the customers.  If the club has some games, like Trivia, drag it out and get a round going.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.