Landlord/Owner Renting Out Questions

Kailestis Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I currently own a 30k region that I am looking to sell (rent out) for residential (and possibly commercial) use. I am just seeking some advice, and excuse me if my wording and links don't completely make sense, I think that this is my 3rd day of being awake.

• What is a good way to gauge how I price the rental boxes? I've thought up having 1st week's rent in land purchase.
  • Should I just do full residential, or is it okay to have mixed zoning?
  • Touching on the above, what makes a for a good covenant? How should I write it? What information should it have?
  • Best way(s) to advertise?
  • I've split the land into 1/16ths, is that okay?

That's all I've got.
If you can think of anything else I may be leaving out, please, do not hesitate to let me know.

5 hours ago, Enix Davi said:
  • What is a good way to gauge how I price the rental boxes? I've thought up having 1st week's rent in land purchase.

Look at what the big ones charge. If you're talking about 16 4096 m2 parcel on a region with no infrastructure, 900-1000 L$/week is probably a realistic price in a full region, 200-250 L$/week in a homestead.

• Should I just do full residential, or is it okay to have mixed zoning?

Full residental.

• Touching on the above, what makes a for a good covenant? How should I write it? What information should it have?

Try to think of all the possible ways a tenant can harrass a neighbor and explicitly disallow them all in the covenant.

• Best way(s) to advertise?

Word of mouth. Include info about your profile and be social. In-world search may or may not be effective and is worth a try. Ads on the forums and on MP don't work well but they are free.

The most important thing is to be patient and try to keep your existing tenants. No matter what you do, expect it to take at least a year, probably two or three or more, to get up to 75% occupancy.

• I've split the land into 1/16ths, is that okay?

Yes, that sounds about right. Nice and square parcels and more land than what is included in the premium membershp package.

If you can think of anything else I may be leaving out, please, do not hesitate to let me know.

Well, I hope you can afford it. 229 dollars a month, that's 2748 dollars a year. Running a small rental estate in SL can be a nice hobby but it is hardly a cheap one.

Edited by ChinRey

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Well, I hope you can afford it. 229 dollars a month, that's 2748 dollars a year. Running a small rental estate in SL can be a nice hobby but it is hardly a cheap one.

$259.00 usd, actually. The Nexus is, I think, the 3rd region that I have owned since I started almost a decade ago. Heh. I'm just very rusty and want to get it done right this time.

Try to think of all the possible ways a tenant can harrass a neighbor and explicitly disallow them all in the covenant.

I'll probably just piggyback off or my last covenant and tweak it where it's needed.

Full residental

Why is this the best course of action? Like not even a small outlet type mall? I'm a marketplace seller, and I would like to get an in world location to show my wares.

Look at what the big ones charge. If you're talking about 16 4096 m2 parcel on a region with no infrastructure, 900-1000 L$/week is probably a realistic price in a full region, 200-250 L$/week in a homestead.

It's a 30k full region.

33 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Hi Enix. I could not find your name inworld. I am an experienced land manager and would like to help you.

Annabell Wandsworth

I am now known as Kailestis Nova. I guess the forums haven't  caught up yet. Heh. I'll try reaching you in-world soon

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.