Saving a Texture in an Object?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perhaps a silly noobie questions, but is there anyway to save a texture from a full perm object as a texture in your inventory?     So for example, I would like to make pillows  to match my sofa, so I want to export the texture from the sofa, save it as a texture in my inventory, and then apply it to pillow forms.

• Like 2

Not sure how the perms work exactly but simpler way to try would be to edit your pillows. Choose texture tab and select texture and use the eye dropper. Either it will or it won't copy the sofas texture.  Otherwise there is no way I know of to copy/drag a texture from an object into inventory.

Another option would be to search for a similar if not same texture either in market/in world, perhaps ask sofa maker if you could have/buy a no transfer copy of the texture.

• Like 1

I don't think it is possible. I might be wrong though.

Thing is, the texture you see is actually a link - a reference - to the image on LL's asset servers that was uploaded by the creator. There is, as far as I know, no way of getting the link out of the object texture window and in to your inventory. You would have to recreate the texture and upload it yourself, or somehow get it from the creator.

[EDIT] Basically I just said the same thing Kuda had already said. :)

- Luc -

• Like 1

No.  It may be a full perm object but that doesn't mean that you own the texture.  If the texture is not already in your inventory, you cannot legally use it on another object.  It's sort of like RL.  You may really like the fabric your skirt is made of, but you didn't buy the fabric.  Unless you happen to have a bolt of it lying around already, you better go out and buy one before you try to make another skirt out of it.

• Like 1

The simple answer is no. Owning a full-perms object does not give you ownership of a copy of the textures used to make that object.

As Luc pointed out, textures applied to an object are links to assets in the asset database for the creator of the object. So for example if I take a snapshot of my cat in real life, and apply it to a prim in SL and give you that prim full perms, the cat texture still only exists as an asset database reference to the texture that is in my inventory, and you can't, legally, copy it. You could ask me if I would give or sell you a copy, but without resorting to various methods of content theft, that is all you can do.

The more complex answer is that you probably don't actually want to copy the exact textures on that couch in the first place. Unless it is made in a very simplistic manner, the shading at the edges and the seams in the fabric are part of a texture that the maker of the object created for that specific use, and most of the time you'll find that even if you did have a copy of the actual texture for, as an example, the top surface of a seat cushion, that texture won't look right when applied to some other shape or type of prim. The shading and 'edges' will be wrong, visually. While there are exceptions to this, mostly with items designed to change texture via a menu from a script, most of the time the base 'fabric' texture that the maker used is only the starting point for the actual textures applied to each surface, and other work is done to enhance that texture for the intended placement position.

Your best bet would be to find a matching furniture set from the same maker, where all pieces are intended to color-coordinate. Or try contacting the maker of one or the other of the pieces of furniture that you like, and see if they have or could create a matching piece like the other one that you have.

• Like 2

So for example, I would like to make pillows  to match my sofa, so I want to export the texture from the sofa, save it as a texture in my inventory, and then apply it to pillow forms.

One way I do this is to make a copy of the sofa and re-shape it to be pillow-shaped. Unlink all the prims, delete all but one, and re-shape it. No ned to mess with the textures, except adjust repeats and angles.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.