You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To those who may take heed,

Might I ask if it is possible to import/export files betwixt Microsoft 3D builder (generally for 3D printing) for Windows 10 and Blender 2.8; being able to edit and create, animate, and the like....and utilizing lithopane as well...? And then transporting that upon SL?

I am, of course, new here....I do understand some things, but I'm confuzzled on a lot others 'bout SL..... however, I do love to create a plethora of things, scenes and buildings upon the 3D builder, but if I can correlate with various tools/mediums, it'd be a unique wonder! Any sort of aid or consideration is appreciative, and I am truly grateful for your attention.. 

-Ms.Serpyne 

Second Life can only import meshes in collada (.dae) format and I don't think that is supported by Microsoft 3D builder. It is suported by Blender though so it's easy enough to convert.

BUT!...

There is a big difference between models made for 3D printing and models made for virtual worlds and games. A 3D printer can easily handle a model with hundreds of thousands of polys. It only has to process the model once after all and it doesn't matter if it takes a few minutes. In a  live 3D environment the model has to be redrawn over and over again at least 20, preferably 50 or more, times every second. No computer in the world is able to handle a complete scene made from high poly meshes that fast. A single model maybe but not the combined load of hundreds and even thousands of separate ones at the same time.

That means we have to be very careful with the poly count for our models. For a decorative item like what you seem to want to make, a thousand triangles is way too much, you need to get it into the low hundreds or less.

The way to simulate lithopane in SL (a splendid idea btw) is to use a very simple mesh or prim shape and do it all with textures and possibly normal and specular maps.

Edit:

Just a five minute quick and dirty mockup but is it something like this you had in mind?

bilde.png.0e58c98482b06464708cbb8fd78b88c3.png

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 3:44 AM, ChinRey said:

Second Life can only import meshes in collada (.dae) format and I don't think that is supported by Microsoft 3D builder. It is suported by Blender though so it's easy enough to convert.

BUT!...

There is a big difference between models made for 3D printing and models made for virtual worlds and games. A 3D printer can easily handle a model with hundreds of thousands of polys. It only has to process the model once after all and it doesn't matter if it takes a few minutes. In a  live 3D environment the model has to be redrawn over and over again at least 20, preferably 50 or more, times every second. No computer in the world is able to handle a complete scene made from high poly meshes that fast. A single model maybe but not the combined load of hundreds and even thousands of separate ones at the same time.

That means we have to be very careful with the poly count for our models. For a decorative item like what you seem to want to make, a thousand triangles is way too much, you need to get it into the low hundreds or less.

The way to simulate lithopane in SL (a splendid idea btw) is to use a very simple mesh or prim shape and do it all with textures and possibly normal and specular maps.

Edit:

Just a five minute quick and dirty mockup but is it something like this you had in mind?

Oh my goodness, you've no idea how much confusion you just cleared from my dearly poor, befuddled brain....! A whole heaping thank you.... I do comprehend completely now.. The matter has been distinctly delineated in a manner that I may discern. :--)

And yes...absolutely; that is quite similar to what I was referring..... :--)

Edited by YiniksaSSerpyne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.