Newbie in 2nd Life/Trying to make clothes

Fenrard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi i am new to 2nd life

so i am 3d artist you can view my art here

https://www.artstation.com/roninfang

so just commissioned to make some custom clothing for 2nd life

problem is yeah i am new here so i have no idea how to upload stuff in game

so want to ask how to check if the clothing i made is the right size? cause when i try the upload model it does show up on the viewer

but yeah just noticed now i have to pay for every upload?

is there like another free software i can use to check if clothes i made are the right size?

is there a free 3d model somewhere i can download that is the same size as the default avatar male in 2nd life so i can check if the model i am making is the right size?

1 hour ago, Fenrard said:

so just commissioned to make some custom clothing for 2nd life

You shouldn't have taken the commission before you knew what you were getting into.

so want to ask how to check if the clothing i made is the right size? cause when i try the upload model it does show up on the viewer

Yup, everything you upload will be hosted permanently in the Linden Lab servers, so obviously there has to be some kind of throttle/fee.

is there like another free software i can use to check if clothes i made are the right size?

Pretty much everyone who uses Blender also uses Avastar which you can purchase here: https://avastar.machinimatrix.org/

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 1:04 PM, Fenrard said:

problem is yeah i am new here so i have no idea how to upload stuff in game

I have a youtube video that shows how to upload in world. It uploads a mesh avatar, but uploading clothes would about the same process. 

If you login to the beta/preview grid, all uploads are free. Details here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

so want to ask how to check if the clothing i made is the right size?

Unfortunately, all avatars, especially mesh avatars have different shapes and sizes. You would need to know which avatar your clothes are intended to fit. Then find an example of that avatar that you can download and use in your 3d software. Most are called "Dev Kits" (3d models), which are often very difficult to get a copy of unless you are an established clothing creator in SL. Some, like the above example RuthToo are easy and free to get a Dev Kit/3d model.

There are quite a few YouTube videos on how to create, rig, and upload clothing to SL, but it is not a simple process. You have a good head start in being able to create 3d objects. Rigging and sizing will be your next learning curve.

~Sean

Even if you are a skilled 3D artist, you still need to spend some time figuring things in game...speaking of sizing,  SL users transitioned from default game created avatar to 3rd party avatars and I`m sure you would be expected to rig the clothing to at least 3 different bodies/brands...as a newbie (new account) and no SL store, you are going to have a problem getting dev kits for relevant mesh bodies (avatars) meaning, you will have A LOT of guess work in order to rig clothes properly...You cannot purchase dev kits, you can apply through web form for each body, but again without any work on sale in game or Marketplace and your account fresh new, it will most likely not happen...also, you will be required to share real life info (name, address, some even ask for ID scan/photo) and sign a legally binding document..

There is no need for 3rd party software, Avastar is created as a helpful tool but sadly only works with versions lower then 2.8...Not sure if you ever created game assets,  Zbrush is mainly sculpting software and handles/works with ridiculously high polycount, it is hard to tell from your work examples if you bother with retopo/optimization but that`s something you would be expected to do for SL...Mesh you create will also have to react to SL avatar shape sliders...

anyways, here`s what you need: 

• make a SL account
  • Find out which bodies/sizes you are expected to create for
  • find web site for each body and fill in web form (SL store info and real life info is always required)
  • learn how the upload process works and about SL limitations/rules

I would suggest to create a MP store and put some of your work on sale, otherwise you have literally zero chance of getting dev kits...

I honestly think for just one commission, there is too much work/learning involved...if  you plan on doing this permanently, then by all means, give it a try...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.