Rendering avatars for pics?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, so recently i've become aware of the fact that a lot of vendors seem to be creating renders for their ads instead of regular in-world pics, and i was just wondering how you suppose people are going about doing this? here are some examples that i've found:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9IKIUshzZ-/

6d7a04f3586954e4b94d3cd49ed938fc.png

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152781019@N03/48855525397/in/dateposted/

9920e477e093ee48ec2d37e165638cd7.jpg

are these people using 3d models in software such as blender, 3dsmax (if that's its name idk), zbrush, maya etc? or do they have some incredible viewer that they're using? or is there a way to render in-world that i don't know about? tell me you guys' thoughts on this, as i'd love to try it out myself.

thanks~

• Like 1

Just IMHO but...

If it's supposed to be an ad pic for a SL product then it should be photographed in the official viewer and get no postprocessing apart from cropping. If a user cannot make their view of the product look like your ad pic even on ultra graphics level in the official viewer, your ad is dishonest. Particularly so if it isn't being rendered in a SL viewer at all.

It's perfectly OK to make the product so that it can be made even prettier using the higher quality graphics possible in other viewers such as Black Dragon and if you are taking "art shots" then by all means do that and postprocess it to your hearts content but if it is an ad, it should show the potential buyer what they can reasonably expect to see in the default viewer not a third-party one.

At the very least, if the ad pic could not be taken in the default viewer then you should clearly state this to avoid deceptive marketing - something that can get your product listing flagged.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAT4BASE said:

Hi guys, so recently i've become aware of the fact that a lot of vendors seem to be creating renders for their ads instead of regular in-world pics, and i was just wondering how you suppose people are going about doing this? here are some examples that i've found:

9920e477e093ee48ec2d37e165638cd7.jpg

are these people using 3d models in software such as blender, 3dsmax (if that's its name idk), zbrush, maya etc? or do they have some incredible viewer that they're using? or is there a way to render in-world that i don't know about? tell me you guys' thoughts on this, as i'd love to try it out myself.

thanks~

Photoshopped like crazy. From shadows to lighting. Almost nothing in this picture is real.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DAT4BASE said:

Daz3d, usually, from what I've heard, plus photo-editing like crazy. Adverts like that should be banned as false marketing - but meh, as long as they provide demos so that you can see what it actually looks like in-world for yourself.

• Like 1

thanks guys. i'm just curious because i wanted to get into rendering. i PERSONALLY will continue to just take in-world pics of my products as i have been, as i agree with you that it's more honest. but yeah, appreciate the help. i also installed daz3d at 2am last night and am trying (and failing) to come to grips with the weird interface, so yeah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.