How to combine land/prims with someone else

Oeasiz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! 

I have been doing some research on this topic, but felt it would be best to make my own New Topic to get the right help I need and explanation I'm looking for so I don't feel as overwhelmed and confused lol. 

I'm premium and recently gave up my Linden Home, so that I can buy mainland for residential. What I need help with is a guide step by step on how to make two premium accounts combine their perks such as land sqm and prims. So we got a skybox that we want to make our home. I read that we need to deed our tiers and when purchasing land we need to make sure we buy it for the group. 

Do one person make the group then invite the other and both seperately find 1024sqm land and when buying the land buy it for the group and then we will have the total of 702prims and 2048sqm? 

Or do we have to buy land right next to each other, then join them (if you can) and then place the skybox on the joined land?

Does it have to be 1024sqm each or how does that work? 

My goal is for us to not have to pay more each, that we can get the full usage of our premium together, and live in the sky, but I don't have much knowledge on land for skyboxes (if there's specific lands for that purpose alone) and in general what I found wasn't as clear guidance as I'd like. 

I'd hate to mess it up, and then one or the other get charged outside their premium. 

If this was too hard to understand or confusing just ask, and I'll try my best to explain! 

I appreciate all the help I can get.

I've never owned land before, I've watched a lot of youtube, tried to find forums on this and found some things, I know how to search for land, buy it but the joining it, deeding tier, etc. I'm kind of clueless on how to do as you just read. Okay I'm repeating myself, I hope you get what I'm trying to do here haha! 

Thank you for your time and help! 

Sound as if you're already off to a good start.

The easiest way is as you describe: One person creates the group, then invites the other person to an appropriate role (probably Owner, so both contributing members are Owners -- bearing in mind that either one can sell all the land that way).

Once both are group members, they each donate all their tier to the group. Do that in the Group "Land/Assets" tab. Once you've both donated your full 1024, you'll notice that groups get a 10% tier bonus, so instead of 2048 the "Total contribution" will show 2252 sq.m., so the group can buy land up to that amount (well, technically, 2240 sq.m. because land comes in multiples of 16sq.m.). 

So now it's just a question of finding the land. If you want to combine land into one parcel, it must be in the same region. It does NOT need to be contiguous. (It's maybe a little trickier to Join parcels that are on opposite corners of a region, but it can be done.) But if you want that one big skybox, then the parcels will need to be contiguous and the right shape when combined to fit the skybox.

It doesn't matter what sizes the individual parcels are, just make sure to Buy for Group. As long as you're buying for group, it shouldn't let you buy more than the current total tier contribution for the group.

In contrast to private Estates or Linden Homes, on Mainland you can put your skybox wherever you want... but as a courtesy, try to keep it well out of sight from ground level. Above 2000m shouldn't annoy any neighbors, especially if you're at least a few hundred meters away from those neighbors' own skyboxes.

Finally, within a region you'll get to use whatever Land Impact is supported by the amount of land the group ends up owning in the region. Some Mainland regions are double-prim, but you'll definitely notice the price difference for those.

• Like 3

1) Make a group

2) Invite the other person to join the group as Owner.  Group will have 2 Owners

3) Both owners contribute their 1024m tier allocation to the group.  The group now has 2048m tier

4) Find a parcel, and Buy it for Group

5) Groups get a 10% land bonus. So for the 2048m tier the group can own 2252m land

6) Group owners have all the same control/rights over the land as individual owners 

• Like 2

Thank you! How do I make sure that I'm buying it for the group? We have the total contribution 2048 and found two pieces of land next to each other. When I click "Buy this Land" it says I'll have 1618m left, does that mean it's being bought for the group since we donated both our tiers etc?

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

In contrast to private Estates or Linden Homes, on Mainland you can put your skybox wherever you want... but as a courtesy, try to keep it well out of sight from ground level. Above 2000m shouldn't annoy any neighbors, especially if you're at least a few hundred meters away from those neighbors' own skyboxes.

How do you put the skybox in the sky? 

44 minutes ago, Oeasiz said:

Thank you! How do I make sure that I'm buying it for the group? We have the total contribution 2048 and found two pieces of land next to each other. When I click "Buy this Land" it says I'll have 1618m left, does that mean it's being bought for the group since we donated both our tiers etc?

on the About Land dialog, the Buy For Group button is the bottom right button. Make sure you press this button and not the Buy Land button which is for individual ownership

when it says that there is 1618m tier left, it means what it says. The group has 1618m tiers remaining to apply to other land

Edited by Mollymews
apply

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

on the About Land dialog, the Buy For Group button is the bottom right button. Make sure you press this button and not the Buy Land button which is for individual ownership

when it says that there is 1618m tier left, it means what it says. The group has 1618m tiers remaining to apply to other land

For some reason that button is grey and I can't click it. Why's that?

Just now, Oeasiz said:

For some reason that button is grey and I can't click it. Why's that?

check that your group tag over your head is active

right click on yourself:  menu: My Groups. Opens the People \ Groups dialog. Select your group, right click and menu: Activate

Just now, Mollymews said:

check that your group tag over your head is active

right click on yourself:  menu: My Groups. Opens the People \ Groups dialog. Select your group, right click and menu: Activate

I got it, thank you! Do you by any chance know how to put up the skybox?

24 minutes ago, Oeasiz said:

I got it, thank you! Do you by any chance know how to put up the skybox?

the long hand explanation to do this

turn on parcel property lines. menu World \ Show \ Property Lines. You will see colored lines on the ground showing your parcel

menu: Build \ Build.  Rez a prim on the ground.  Center the prim on the parcel. Change the size of the prim to be the same size as the parcel. Make sure the prim is exactly inside your parcel, no overlapping to nextdoor parcel

the parcel measurements will be in multiples of 4 meters exactly

rez another prim on top. Write on the paper the Position. Z of the this prim

sit on the prim

right-click and edit the prim while sitting on it.  Enter some value in Position: Z.  like 1000. The prim will move up in the sky to 1000m. Use your camera to look around. If the sky is cluttered with other people's skyboxes then try another height on the Z.  2000, 3200, 1600, etc and see if the sky is clear. Don't ever stand up when doing this or you will fall down

when find a clear piece of sky.  Write on the paper the Position Z that you are at

go back down to the ground.  Type in Position Z that you wrote on the paper

stand up

the big prim (platform) that is covering your parcel. Edit this and change the Position Z to the sky height you wrote down

it will now be in the sky at that height

sit on the box prim again.  Enter in Position Z the sky height + 1 meter.

you will be above the platform in the sky

stand up

then you can rez your skybox and other stuff in the sky on the platform

Edited by Mollymews
typp
  • Like 2

If you use Firestorm, you can go to the middle of the land. Do not worry about it , it does not have to be 100% in the middle. Then Fly. (Push Home on your keyboard)

When you hoover over ground, type ght 1000 in chat. You go straight up to 1000 m above ground. If you didn't fly before you did this, you will start to fall down.

Follow Mollymews suggestion about looking around and try different heights, if the sky is cluttered. You repeat gth in chat, just change the height. The considerate resident do not go lower than 512 meters above ground, so the people that prefer to live on ground, does not have to see the skybox. I think 512 is enough. 1000 m is very considerate, so few has several hundred m in draw distance.

If your skybox has its own environment, it is not so important that you can see others. It is good to have some distance, I prefer to set draw distance to 200 m, and if I can't see anyone, I say it's ok.

When you are satisfied, type rezplat in chat. Firestorm is now making a 30 X 30 square m prim under you. 

When you push the "land " button Firestorm has on one of the top lines on the screen, and zoom out, you see your land with a yellow outline. Even up in the sky. If your square 30 m prim is way off center, edit it inside the land. Rez your skybox on the prim. Zoom out to see if it's inside the yellow lines. Move the skybox by using edit - move.

Another way to check, is to walk inside the skybox, to the corners, and check that you are inside your land. The land name changes when you walk outside your parcel line.

When you are satisfied, make a landmark. Send it to your partner, so they can go straight there if they are offline.

Now you can use that landmark, but it is better to set home here. It is faster to just type tph in chat to get home.

This is for Firestorm viewer. Very many SL residents use Firestorm. If you ask for help, say when viewer you use. Firestorm has many helpful shortcuts. 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The "fly up first" approach is a great way to find a good skybox elevation. I generally skip the whole platform prim step and instead just rez the skybox on the ground (with parcel borders showing in the viewer), slide it around until it's all within the borders, edit its Z coordinate up to the chosen height, then hop back up to get inside.

Making it your Home location is a good idea if you don't have somewhere else you want as home; if you do have a different preferred home, then making a landmark and putting it in your Favorites bar can be a handy substitute.

(It's weird some of the stuff Firestorm made into chat commands that have easy invocations that should work with every viewer. Ctrl-Shift-H goes home with a single keystroke. Get to any height by clicking on the address bar and editing the last few characters to whatever elevation you want.)

I recommended heights above 2000m only because it's part of the Bellisseria covenant, which I take to be the Lab subtly promoting a "free fly zone" below 2000m that some have long advocated. We're not talking Bellisseria here, but maybe it'll catch on enough to be helpful for SL aeronauts.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.