Can someone tell me what this means please

FairuzaB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The wiki literature on pathfinding is arcane and not up to date, but you can find much of what you want to know by digging around.  I suggest starting with http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Physics_Optimization , which gives you a feel for what the navmesh is and how to optimize it so that pathfinding critters move around properly.  The answer to your specific question is:

An estate manager may disable 'dynamic_pathfinding' in the SimConsole, which will disable all dynamic pathfinding actions following a region restart. When this option is disabled, only the static navmesh will exist, and no pathfinding characters will be able to move

• Like 1

Turning on Pathfinding in a region does have some performance impact, more when the first Pathfinding character is running. The whole Mainland has it enabled (I think), so it's common enough, but maybe keep it in mind if you later find yourself dissatisfied with sim performance.

I don't know what it does to Homesteads, if that's a factor here, but I'm sure many folks do.

Either it's an estate where someone turned pathfinding off, or, randomly, sometimes the viewer misses the message saying that pathfinding is available.

Pathfinding doesn't use server time until you have a pathfinding character present. The first pathfinding character costs about 3ms/frame, depending on how much stuff is in the sim. More pathfinding characters add little overhead, because the first one turns on the system which tracks all moving objects and updates the navmesh. I've tried 50 pathfinding characters, and the overhead doesn't go up much past one.

Unless you're using pathfinding, don't worry about it. If you are using pathfinding, you have other headaches..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.