How do i walk?! I am pressing the arrow keys, but nothing!!

AliciaS696

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

There are a couple of ways to move your avatar. The arrow keys should work, check that there are no pizza crumbs under them. You can also close the chat bar using ESC and then move using the WASD keys or you can click the MOVE button and use the movement control panel to do it.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by nothing...

How you fix it depends on whether you are in Basic or Advanced Mode. Most of these problems will need to be fixed in Advanced Mode. You can choose mode when you are about to login. Unfortunately, the changes to the setting only take effect on the next start of the viewer. So, change and restart the viewer then login.

Arrow keys can be used for movement only or for movement and chat string editing. In Preferences you will find settings for controlling the behavior to have it work the way you prefer.

Preferences (Ctrl-P) -> Move & View ... look for Arrow Keys Always Move Me.

I'm using the SL Viewer 2.6.9 Development (229908) May 13 2011. Many of the setting that used to be in Preferences are now hidden away in Second Life Debug Settings (toggle menu item on/off: Ctrl-Alt-Q). The SL Wiki explains what most of the settings do.

When you use the arrow keys to help edit chat, it is not unusual to see the cursor stuck in the chat window. There is a setting that allows one to have Enter/Return open and close chat. Debug: CloseChatOnReturn

Also there is a control that determines how your number pad behaves. So, if you do not have separate arrow keys, common on laptops, you need to consider that setting. Debug Settings: NumpadControl - 0 = Like the normal arrow keys, 1 = Numpad moves avatar when numlock is off, 2 = Numpad moves avatar regardless of numlock (use this if you have no numlock)

In the future you can get more precise answers by letting us know which viewer you are using and whether you are on Windows or Mac.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.