Did restarting all the sims fix region crossing problems?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had my best few days ever with region crossings. I've been all the way around Bellessaria in a boat. I've flown a helicopter from the west coast of Bellessaria all the way north across Sansara to Denby for a meeting and back. I've driven one of my motorcycles fast around Satori for an hour, at speeds up to 120KPH. Zero region crossing failures.

Oz and Simon insist they haven't changed anything or deployed a new version of the sim code. But, last week, every sim on the grid was rebooted to undo a bad change. Things immediately got much better. What are others seeing?

Maybe we just need more frequent sim restarts on a regular basis. LL supposedly restarts sims about once every 3 weeks to a month. That may be too infrequent.

I thought I'd test this out, but didn't get far until I encountered a Bellisseria-adjacent, strangely sick sim, "Delby Depths", that seems to have special trouble with sim crossings (vehicles optional). Unfortunately, it's hard to gather consistent data because I keep getting totally wedged and eventually disconnected trying to cross out of that region.

This may be just the one sick sim on the grid, though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, animats said:

[..] Oz and Simon insist they haven't changed anything or deployed a new version of the sim code. But, last week, every sim on the grid was rebooted to undo a bad change. [...]

As I wrote several times in this forum, region crossing issues come and go, apparently without any changes made — I've seen it happen over the years. I even remember that some time ago LL tested some code at a few sims in Blake Sea but I could never notice any change, crossing into/out those sims didn't get better than doing it at other regions that were healthy.
Yes, it's got better, I've had no issues but I'm not holding my breath.
Supposedly, regions are automatically restarted on a 10 days cycle. And yes, of course that after a restart regions do get in a healthy state unless something goes wrong.
Issues on crossings, coming and going, may have many causes, as you know, from buggered sims to network bottlenecks. Possibly, many times it's a set of different bad things happening coincidentally... As far as I know, LL could never determine the cause, maybe because there isn't a single cause.

Edited by MBeatrix
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.