Avatar doing random animations without any permissions given

Icswcshadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I have been having an issue and start to believe that is a sort of exploit grief someone I am suspecting is doing.

My avatar would randomly start doing an animation I did not activate, such as a dance or deforming animation. I am 100% sure it's not and Experience, Permission, Gestures (disabled all), Object I am wearing or RLV.

It keeps happening when the person I suspect of doing it (because of being petty about some drama several years ago instead of letting it go) is online.

Other people I asked had suggested that I at one point gave that person permissions to animate my avatar and even if I revoke animation permissions on Firestorm that they still have the permissions and therefor are able to activate animations on my avatar.

It seems like a possibility, but I am out of ideas. Do you guys have any more ideas? Is the permission thing an exploit that exists? If yes, then what can I do about it?

Edited by Icswcshadow

12 answers to this question

Yes, indeed, that is a possibility.  If that's what happened, then the scripted object can only animate you if you happen to be in the same region with it.  There's not much you can do other than avoid that region. This behavior is not necessarily a griefer exploit, although it certainly can be.  If you are using Firestorm, you can prevent being trapped by the same ting later, by setting Preferences to release all permission when you stand from an object.  That won't cure any past instances, but it's something.

Rolig is correct.  However, the Firestorm viewer also provides an (imperfect) defense against things that have already taken the permission to animate you.

If you go to Avatar > Avatar Health > Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions, the animation should stop.  The "imperfect" part comes if the object's owner has access to it.  He can just delete that copy, then rez a fresh copy, which will again have the permission to animate your avatar.  This is especially easy for the perpetrator if the device is a HUD that he's wearing.  Of course, then he has to be in the same region as you, which makes him easier to detect and avoid.

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can report them, but it's not likely that LL will ban them, in my opinion.

Your best bet is to just stay away from this person.

Problem is, the sim that person goes to is a sim I am renting at and have a parcel at. A sim I like to spend most of my time on SL. So no I can't avoid that user.

No you don't understand. It's not rental only sim. It's a sim with a community hangout and all where most my friends go to or I meet people. I tried resolving the issue before but since I can't proof anything they wont do anything. I am not leaving that sim.

Also to clarify, it doesn't always happen. The person I suspect is rarely online when I am. It just is really annoying when it does happen.

I did open a ticket with Support, to see if anything can be done.

Edited by Icswcshadow

As Lindal and I have both said, there really isn't a solution.  As long as the scripted object (or a copy) exists, it will continue to animate you if you are in the same region.  Your only hopes are to either (1) avoid the region or (2) convince the object's owner to delete it.  Submitting an abuse report may or may not have any effect, depending on whether the Lab decides that the other person has violated the TOS.  The TOS (Sect 6) says

You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users.

Do note that Lindal has reminded you that Firestorm provides a tool in its viewer which gives you some imperfect relief:

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If you go to Avatar > Avatar Health > Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions, the animation should stop. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
Cleaner wording
  • Confused 1

i think landlords are the ones to deal with these kinds of issues since its a private sim and not owned by linden. Your landlord or sim owner can find the object and delete it. If nothing is done, leave the sim, its simple, if the sim owner can't handle issues or its admins, then you should just move out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.