Vimeo media?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(Not sure this really belongs in Scripting but if I could solve the problem it would make a script possible, and anyway I'll guess that scripters are the most likely to have bumped into this before.)

Has anybody succeeded in using a vimeo video (e.g., https://vimeo.com/375405889 ) as an SL media source, either Parcel Media or Shared Media?

I started out hoping to use just the raw .mp4 to put on parcel media, but it seems that's only available to "Pro" vimeo accounts (also noted here). Unfortunately the party responsible for these videos doesn't appear to have that kind of account (although I haven't asked them, which I'd need to do to get the link anyway).

So then I switched to the Shared Media approach, and nothing would play, apparently due to this bug, also noted here. Despite the specificity of those jira titles, it seems there's no plan to support playing "embedded" mp4s at all.

Now I'm not sure even the .mp4 link available to "Pro" vimeo accounts would work, even if I had it.

Maybe there's some means of presenting media with an "unembedded" mp4 from vimeo, if that's even a thing. Or some other magic that gets vimeo video to appear in-world?

Otherwise I suppose my only fallback is llLoadURL of the vimeo link, which for my purposes would be marginally better than nothing I guess.

On 12/25/2019 at 1:08 AM, Qie Niangao said:

(Not sure this really belongs in Scripting but if I could solve the problem it would make a script possible, and anyway I'll guess that scripters are the most likely to have bumped into this before.)

Has anybody succeeded in using a vimeo video (e.g., https://vimeo.com/375405889 ) as an SL media source, either Parcel Media or Shared Media?

I started out hoping to use just the raw .mp4 to put on parcel media, but it seems that's only available to "Pro" vimeo accounts (also noted here). Unfortunately the party responsible for these videos doesn't appear to have that kind of account (although I haven't asked them, which I'd need to do to get the link anyway).

So then I switched to the Shared Media approach, and nothing would play, apparently due to this bug, also noted here. Despite the specificity of those jira titles, it seems there's no plan to support playing "embedded" mp4s at all.

Now I'm not sure even the .mp4 link available to "Pro" vimeo accounts would work, even if I had it.

Maybe there's some means of presenting media with an "unembedded" mp4 from vimeo, if that's even a thing. Or some other magic that gets vimeo video to appear in-world?

Otherwise I suppose my only fallback is llLoadURL of the vimeo link, which for my purposes would be marginally better than nothing I guess.

The "pro" answer was only if you embedding the video in a new page ..

But it doesn t explain why the video doesn t work in the internal browser with direct vimeo URL 

Edited by Miranda Umino

4 hours ago, Miranda Umino said:

... the video doesn t work in the internal browser with direct vimeo URL 

Oh, good point, I hadn't even tried that, and you're right: it fails miserably. I'd watched it work fine with an external browser so I thought llLoadURL would be a viable fallback, but in fact it's not, because some folks will surely have their viewers configured to load URLs to the internal (CEF) browser.

What I'd hoped to do with the "Pro" thing was to point a media surface to that raw .mp4 link so it would play as a normal streaming video from the vimeo hosting.

In theory I could try to get clearance to host a copy of the video myself, but I'm thinking my entire engagement with Second Life isn't worth being forced to chat with IP lawyers.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Kyle Linden said:

Hi everyone, 

I would like to informally confirm that we do have plans to support embedded MP4 video playback in a future project viewer. Timing to be determined, as this effort competes with many other projects underway.

Thanks!

Mr. Anderson approves of this message.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.