Help with UV mapping, please

Arri Daddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just looking for some help with creating the UV maps for a mesh file. As in, looking to hire somebody to do this for me. I've zero experience with mesh modelling and all this, I tried youtubing tutorials and it all just made my head spin. Willing to pay L$ of course. If this isn't the right or best place to ask, I appreciate any advice on that as well. Def over my head in this arena. any help is appreciated, ty! :D

Since it sounds like this is a downloaded from the web file (legal by SL terms now but possibly not the website downloaded from) you need to know that a lot (a LOT) of that mesh was never intended for games. So if that is the case it would need to be unwrapped and then decimated carefully in order to work even close to "well" in Second Life.  So yes, a screenshot of the model showing the vertices would be very good.  If you ONLY want the finished model back with an AO map of something of the sort then it probably doesn't matter what program is used. Blender (free) is the most popular in SL.   

Yes, it's a model I downloaded from sketchfab, iirc. Was for free with standard CC attributions. Did a few things to cut the vertices down. Engines and weapons are separated objects from the main body and tbh, not terribly concerned about the weapons anyway.

5k verts, 8.4k edges, 3.4k faces. not sure how much all that makes a difference or if that's high. And yes, been using blender to make a few small tweaks.

https://gyazo.com/ec11d2cd92bcf8a1110ab46d1f667daa

1 hour ago, Perry Spizel said:

Yes, it's a model I downloaded from sketchfab, iirc. Was for free with standard CC attributions. Did a few things to cut the vertices down. Engines and weapons are separated objects from the main body and tbh, not terribly concerned about the weapons anyway.

5k verts, 8.4k edges, 3.4k faces. not sure how much all that makes a difference or if that's high. And yes, been using blender to make a few small tweaks.

https://gyazo.com/ec11d2cd92bcf8a1110ab46d1f667daa

no, not high. That looks like a pretty low poly model. BUT (of course there is a but) Sketchfab and SL do not play well together so UV unmapping may be only one small part of issues that arise.  I suggest going to the beta grid (you have a last name so I "think" you can still get in without putting in a ticket and asking for entrance) and seeing if you can get the model to upload at all. No use going to a lot of work if it isn't going to happen. We have had a lot of folks TRY to upload from Sketchfab in the past and there were often ISSUES (yes in caps). 

Good luck!!!

On 12/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, Perry Spizel said:

Just looking for some help with creating the UV maps for a mesh file. As in, looking to hire somebody to do this for me. I've zero experience with mesh modelling and all this, I tried youtubing tutorials and it all just made my head spin. Willing to pay L$ of course. If this isn't the right or best place to ask, I appreciate any advice on that as well. Def over my head in this arena. any help is appreciated, ty! :D

CG Cookie has a free Blender 2.8 tutorial that will take about an hour to watch. After that, do one of the beginner lessons on texturing. 

Then, you'll know enough to work with someone you might hire, and will probably be able to do it yourself.

I'm not at all discounting what Kyrah said. 

On 12/24/2019 at 4:57 PM, Chic Aeon said:

no, not high. That looks like a pretty low poly model. BUT (of course there is a but) Sketchfab and SL do not play well together so UV unmapping may be only one small part of issues that arise.  I suggest going to the beta grid (you have a last name so I "think" you can still get in without putting in a ticket and asking for entrance) and seeing if you can get the model to upload at all. No use going to a lot of work if it isn't going to happen. We have had a lot of folks TRY to upload from Sketchfab in the past and there were often ISSUES (yes in caps). 

Good luck!!!

I'm interested to know what kind of Issues happened with the Sketchfab models you're talking about.

To my knowledge sketchfab models are no different from anything you would download elsewhere, in fact their models have multiple extensions to facilitate importing them to a wide range of 3d software. After which it's no different than if you had modeled the mesh yourself (Unless it come triangulated or other minor inconvenience).

Edited by Kikkos

3 minutes ago, Kikkos said:

I'm interested to know what kind of Issues happened with the Sketchfab models you're talking about.

To my knowledge sketchfab models are no different from anything you would download elsewhere, in fact their models have multiple extensions to facilitate importing them to a wide range of 3d software. After which it's no different than if you had modeled the mesh yourself (Unless it come triangulated or other minor inconvenience).

I really didn't pay too much attention as I never planned to use Sketchfab, but a search of the forums here might bring up some of the old posts.     Good luck. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.