Lost and Found folder - items not visible

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I moved from my old Linden Home to a Trad, I 'packed up' all my furnishings individually. A few months later, when moving from a Trad to a Victorian, I returned all the items to my Inventory via the About Land window option. I did see a message saying that items had been returned to my Lost and Found folder, but as I've been playing 'Game of Homes', I haven't really started decorating until now, and have discovered that a number of older pieces of furniture (ones with animations), have disappeared (and are no longer available to re-purchase). Looking at my Lost and Found folder, it shows that there are 11 items, but no details are available. Is there a way to retrieve these items, or at least see information about them? The only options I can see are: 1) Empty Lost and Found; 2) Share Lost and Found. I can share with an alt, but then I see the message about losing 1 of those items. (I'm pretty sure all this old stuff was No Copy No Mod No Transfer, so the Share option surprises me.) Any help would be greatly appreciated! (And apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.) PS- I've looked through my inventory very carefully to see if I could find these items.

lostfound.JPG

share.JPG

Edited by Frigga Freidman

When this happened to me a few years ago I was advised to clear my cache then log in to  a quiet area and allow my inventory to re-populate. My hidden items did re-appear but some of the items in my Lost & Found had been bundled together so I had to re-rezz them and pick them back up again individually. I hope you find your missing stuff.

Will give it a try, thank you. (Next time I'm ready to move, will definitely pack things up the slow way!)

That did return the 11 missing items, which turned out to be an odd group including one earring, some hair, items of furniture/accessories I hadn't used since my early day in Meadowbrook, none of it the stuff I was hoping to find. *But* I contacted the creator of two pieces of furniture (that are no longer sold in her store), and she found the records of my purchases from 2011/12 (!)  and re-sent the items :) Still missing some other stuff (found as hunt prizes), so no idea where they were from, but I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned: before moving, take the time to return items to my inventory manually! (That will actually give me the chance to note the LI in the object profile.) 

Edited by Frigga Freidman
Update

They are in there, the folder contents shows 11 ‘things’, but your inventory is constrained to your search term ‘lost and found’ though and nothing within the folder is called that. Left-click the folder once, clear the search box and you should see what’s actually inside the lost and found folder. If things are returned as a ‘clump’ or coalesced object, only one item will be named but if you rez that clump in a sandbox you can sort it. There are advantages to ‘return’ in a clump but also some drawbacks. No copy items can’t be restored to their last place and I don’t like including them in a send back so my solution when moving is to take up any no copy items, then anything I’ve modded and then finally just send the rest back as a clump and delete it immediately since I have copies and probably won’t use the same arrangements in the new house. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_retrieve_coalesced_items

When you return items some of them become coalesced in your inventory as described. 

Quotes:

How It Works

The way it works is that the system randomly selects one of your returning objects as the item to be bundled with, hence the word "coalesce". This one object is actually a combination of all of the other returned objects from the same area. When you rez that object inworld from your L&F folder, it will rez all of your coalesced items in the same formation it was last placed inworld before having been returned to you. If your items are being returned from various areas in a sim, you may receive several of your returned objects in your L&F folder. Again, each these will be bundled with rest of your returned items. This will only happen when multiple objects are returned at the same time from the same parcel or region.

Scenario

A Resident rents land from a landlord. The Resident has the following objects on their land:

1. House
  2. Kitchen Sink
  3. Table
  4. Chair
  5. Fork
  6. Object

This Resident decides to move and ask that their landlord return their objects. The landlord returns all of the objects for this resident.

Because of the Coalesce feature, all of these objects will be "stuffed" into a single object, and then sent back to the resident's inventory. This object could be named House, Kitchen Sink, Table, Chair, Fork or Object.

Finding Items

Here's a good way to find your returned items, utilizing the inventory tools:

• Open your Inventory
  • Select the Recent Items tab
  • In your Inventory toolbar, left-click on FILE, select SHOW FILTERS
  • When the Recent Items window opens, go to the bottom of that window and adjust the Hours Ago or Days Ago back to the approximate time your Inventory should have been returned from the parcel
  • Untick all categories except OBJECTS
  • In your Inventory toolbar, left-click on SORT, select DATE
  • Go to a parcel where you have enough prim usage to rez all your coalesced objects (do it in a sim where it's not laggy or you could risk losing all your items if the sim should crash due to a sim rollback. If you go to a sandbox, select one that's not busy or laggy!)
  • Be sure you are not close to a property line. I.E where the neighbouring plot has Build turned off. Rezzing items near this, could lose your items for good with no return to either Lost & Found or Trash.
  • Go in edit mode, either by right clicking the ground and create or right clicking any prim and selecting edit.
  • Rez objects inworld from your Lost & Found folder, starting from the top, one at a time. If after following the above instructions, your returned items have still not rezzed, please be sure to check the land parcel it was returned from and determine whether it was truly returned. If the items being returned were DEEDED to a group AND NON-COPYABLE, they will be returned to the Resident who originally deeded the objects to the group. If the deeded returned objects were copyable, then the objects will not be returned and merely be deleted.
  • If you know roughly how many items (not prims) were returned to you, you can check that they have all been returned whilst you have the items selected (in Edit mode) and looking under the general tab. Here you will see how many objects you are currently selecting along with how many prims.

If you've done all of this and you believe you are still missing returned objects, please file a bug report inworld (Top Toolbar/Tools/Report Bug...).

More information regarding the coalesce feature can be found on Inventory: How the Coalesce feature works

• This page was last modified on 10 November 2009, at 09:06

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.