Customizing Maitreya/Belleza etc.

Chinami1000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok.  So here is my question.  I've learned to make custom shapes, which I'd like to sell, but they aren't playing nicely with Maitreya/Belleza clothes.  Do I need a creation kit or something similar to do this?  I have no experience in digital design work so it's a bit daunting to learn a new skill and I'd like to avoid that if possible.  As I edit the shapes I'm wearing the Maitreya or Belleza bodies.  Maybe I just need to tweak the shapes a bit? 

Also, are there tools that aren't too complicated that allow more customization to be made than just the simple editor included in SL? 

Edited by Chinami1000

Shouldn't need any tools for that. Unless you pull any sliders to the extreme, clothes should be fine - if not, it's probably more to do with the quality of the clothes' rigging. It may be worth trying out a few different sets of outfits with a shape though, before putting it on the market.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Shouldn't need any tools for that. Unless you pull any sliders to the extreme, clothes should be fine - if not, it's probably more to do with the quality of the clothes' rigging. It may be worth trying out a few different sets of outfits with a shape though, before putting it on the market.

thanks.  yeah, for sure.  i want it to look right. not gonna sell things that don't work well.  i've bought too many things like that in the past.  lol. 

29 minutes ago, Chinami1000 said:

I've learned to make custom shapes, which I'd like to sell, but they aren't playing nicely with Maitreya/Belleza clothes.  Do I need a creation kit or something similar to do this? 

Shapes made for body A will rarely look right on body B. In other words, your shapes should be tailored to a specific body because the mesh bodies by brand A are completely different with different proportions than that of brand B, the range of the sliders will be different, etc.
The same goes for heads. There are various models of the Catwa heads (not just Catya!), but then there's also Lelutka, Akeruka, Absolut Creation, and more, much more. The shape you make for example for Catwa will look ridiculous when seen with an Akeruka head, and vice versa.

BTW, I saw you mentioning Belleza, are you just focusing on the Freya, or on all three of their bodies? (Freya, Isis and Venus)

My advice: in order to same yourself some money, get yourself a bunch of demos of the various bodies and heads that you wish to support. They will be good enough for creating shapes for these heads and bodies. So wear those as you make your shapes and forget about the clothes for these bodies, when you make a shape, the clothes are not your responsibility, it's the clothes creators that are responsible of properly fitting clothes. The clothes should follow the mesh body they were made for and if they don't then that's an issue with the clothes, not your shape, not even when you are making extreme shapes.

BTW, I saw you mentioning Belleza, are you just focusing on the Freya, or on all three of their bodies? (Freya, Isis and Venus)

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Shapes made for body A will rarely look right on body B. In other words, your shapes should be tailored to a specific body because the mesh bodies by brand A are completely different with different proportions than that of brand B, the range of the sliders will be different, etc.
The same goes for heads. There are various models of the Catwa heads (not just Catya!), but then there's also Lelutka, Akeruka, Absolut Creation, and more, much more. The shape you make for example for Catwa will look ridiculous when seen with an Akeruka head, and vice versa.

My advice: in order to same yourself some money, get yourself a bunch of demos of the various bodies and heads that you wish to support. They will be good enough for creating shapes for these heads and bodies. So wear those as you make your shapes and forget about the clothes for these bodies, when you make a shape, the clothes are not your responsibility, it's the clothes creators that are responsible of properly fitting clothes. The clothes should follow the mesh body they were made for and if they don't then that's an issue with the clothes, not your shape, not even when you are making extreme shapes.

got it.  thanks for that.  do you happen to know if there are more tools out there that can edit in more detail than the SL standard sliders?  maybe that's not a thing, but I have in my mind some of the avatar editing tools in various video games, some of which go into intricate detail (like Fallout 4, for instance)

3 minutes ago, Chinami1000 said:

got it.  thanks for that.  do you happen to know if there are more tools out there that can edit in more detail than the SL standard sliders?  maybe that's not a thing, but I have in my mind some of the avatar editing tools in various video games, some of which go into intricate detail (like Fallout 4, for instance)

I am not aware of any tools that can aid in the creation of SL-compatible shapes.
Shapes, however, can be exported as an XML file and imported again, allowing you to make backups of your work. I have done it but forgot how to, though it should not be too hard to find out how to do that 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, there is nothing more than the simple editor (I have heard of these butt/breasts enchancers however though I'm not sure how they work!).

I've made shapes to sell and I just use the simple editor just fine. You can react all sorts of shapes from it. Especially with Belleza Freya, I've made skinny, I've made heavyweight, I've even made in-between. There are limits to each body, yes, same with the heads. They are all made for different things after all, with a different weighting to the mesh body..

And one saying that it should fine unless sliders are in the extremes, even then, the sliders shouldn't pose a problem to the clothing IF MADE WELL and WEIGHTED CORRECTLY. I have had my sliders to the extreme with little problems with clothing aka leg muscles, breasts, torso, etc all maxed out. I have one character who is THICC AF on Belleza Freya and clothes fit fine.

It might just be the clothing's problems... Like the clothing you have isn't compatible like it isn't a bento/fitmesh clothing piece made for the specific body or the weights are done incorrectly as in they either use the weights of the classic SL body or the weights are inverted, etc, etc...

In short, sliders to the extreme shouldn't do anything unless the weighting of the clothing is not like it should be (which is a whole can of worms to open due to so many reasons..). And no, there is no other tool than the simple sliders in SL.

EDIT: I just realized this is a month old but I hope i helped? XD

Edited by Muiregwen

1 hour ago, Muiregwen said:

EDIT: I just realized this is a month old but I hope i helped? XD

Pffft. You have made a NERCO*POST, HOW DARE YOU! (This is the single-sentence reply the annoyed will anoint you with.)

I, however, SALUTE YOU! ~Stands and make a military salute~

And to add to the subject matter, different mesh bodies react differently to the sliders, some do well at extreme settings while other fall apart like a house of cards. The same is true for extreme minimums as it is for extreme maximums. This is why we DEMO, DEMO, and more DEMO mesh body and fully flesh-out your desired shape before ever committing to a purchase of said mesh body.

Some are complaining the Belleza and Legacy are high-complexity models with so many more polygons than others like Maitreya and others. Ummmm, yeah, that's kind of the reason those bodies look so much better than those Maitreya and others, also. Extreme settings handle much better on those high-poly models for a reason.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.