Problems with edited items moving out of alignment

Akira Mistwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Been having some editing problems recently on my mainland property. I have a large build platform (2700+ sqm) that is basically a square and a triangle to match the lot's shape. The two elements of the platforms are the same thickness and rezzed at the same height so the connection looked seamless. I've used this platform for months with no issues but a problem cropped up a couple of weeks ago when I noticed one side was slightly higher than the other. Fixed it, no problem, but then two issues happened: 1) when I raised one element to match the other's height, it snapped back to its original position. This happened a couple of times until it finally stayed in place. All seemed well until 2) I tried to lock them down. When I did, they snapped out of alignment so one was higher than the other, just from clicking "lock" (see before and after images below). Unlocking them didn't reverse the movement and I couldn't undo the move. I was able to replicate the problem at a sandbox so it doesn't seem to be location specific. 

I know the difference isn't big but aligning two items shouldn't be a problem and it's a build platform so I want it locked down. Any assistance is appreciated! 

before.png

after.png

9 answers to this question

I can't tell, obviously, but it looks like you are doing your work pretty high above the ground.  I suggest moving it down tom, say, 1000. to get things aligned and locked.  Then move it back up.  There are always greater uncertainties in positions/rotations the higher you are.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:17 AM, Akira Mistwood said:

I know the difference isn't big but aligning two items shouldn't be a problem and it's a build platform so I want it locked down. Any assistance is appreciated!

Are the prims rotated 180 degrees?

There is an old rounding error bug that can cause objetcs rotated 180 degrees (possibly 90 and 270 to) to becaome misaligned. It usually happens when you link or unlink but it may happen under other circumstances too.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:16 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Akira, have you tried simply creating a fresh pair of prims?  It's not like they're expensive or in short supply, you know! 😁

That's how it is these days. People think they can just wave a magic wand an conjure prims out of thin air. It was different when me and my granny were kids. People had to work for their prims. All those prim mines carving out raw prims (I think the one at ANWR is still operational actually) and the small primeries across the grid, carefully shaping them into all the shapes we used to love. Youngsters today have it way too easy!

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.