Rumancekk

i want to make skin JUST for myself, how do I do that?

Question

I want to put better looking skin on my avatar without selling it but I have no idea how to do that. When I right click textures on my avatar it shows me the attached textures but not what I can do with them or how I can upload my own. Also I'm confused because it shows that my clothes are on my skin... Which I guess makes sense but what would happen if I made my own skin?

I don't know how to package it or preview it or anything and I can't seem to find any good tutorials. I don't need to know how to make a skin or use Photoshop; I have experience in that. I just don't know how to preview/package/upload. I just don't know WHERE to upload it, or how.

3 answers to this question

OK...you know that a skin is a texture.  Here's a set of skin templates from which you can create a skin texture.  https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html

Once you have created the texture, then all you have to do is

• right click yourself, select Appearance/Edit Outfite
  • Select the Body Parts tab
  • Select Add/New Skin
  • Click the wrench icon that appears when you hover over the New Skin entry and click Import
  • Import your skin texture.

You can do this on the Beta Grid while testing, to avoid having to pay $L10 for each upload.

skin1.jpg.f8dec5fcea66c11ddd429cc3798bdfa2.jpg

skin2.jpg.7c590f99090b4d438a68f53e35b973a2.jpg

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

OK...you know that a skin is a texture.  Here's a set of skin templates from which you can create a skin texture.  https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html

Once you have created the texture, then all you have to do is

• right click yourself, select Appearance/Edit Outfite
  • Select the Body Parts tab
  • Select Add/New Skin
  • Click the wrench icon that appears when you hover over the New Skin entry and click Import
  • Import your skin texture.

You can do this on the Beta Grid while testing, to avoid having to pay $L10 for each upload.

skin1.jpg.f8dec5fcea66c11ddd429cc3798bdfa2.jpg

skin2.jpg.7c590f99090b4d438a68f53e35b973a2.jpg

it says i have to have an XML file to import...? I don't know how to do that. That option isn't even available to save in photoshop even if i wanted to try.

1 hour ago, Rumancekk said:

it says i have to have an XML file to import...? I don't know how to do that. That option isn't even available to save in photoshop even if i wanted to try.

It?  A skin is like any other texture.  You upload it as a PNG or TGA file and apply it as Lindal described.

44358961_Uploadmenu_1.png.2fbdeebd41e3b2411e9b541e78b06aef.png

As Lindal says, you can save yourself the L$10 per upload while you are in testing phase by working on the beta grid, where uploads are free, or you can upload the image as a local file

Edited by Rolig Loon