HUD Texture Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, I know this belongs in the Building and Texturing forum but honestly, that forum doesn't seem to be all that active so asking here.

So, does anyone know how to stop transparent textures on a HUD from blending into one another on first attach. If I right click the HUD it will correct itself immediately but until I do that it looks as it does in the attached picture. I have seen other HUD's with alphas setup in a similar manner that do not do this and display correctly each time they are attached. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

The red part of the texture is actually the back most layer and the wood buttons are in the middle and the text is actually the front layer

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 19.00.44.png

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

Alpha sorting is a problem on HUDs too (where you have overlapping textures containing alphas). Best solution I know is to set one or all of the layers to “alpha masking”, and play with the level of masking needed. Yes, you lose some of the soft edges and partial transparencies, but for bits like your red circle or those wood squares, it shouldn’t be too bad.

(ETA - I only saw this because it was in the building and texturing forum...some of us check there first. Even if it doesn’t seem like a busy section it’s still worth putting it where the people interested in the topic will read it.) :) 

Edited by Peony Sweetwater

Oh, and there have been some discussions around layering alpha textures when making hair...you might want to look back to some of those for more thoughts on the issue. I’m currently in my iPad on a train and can’t easily link you to the discussion, but a quick search of the forums should find them.

You seem to be texturing each button with a standalone texture? The easier and more efficient way to do it would be to add just one texture on the base, button textures could be arranged on top of it in PS or Gimp or whichever graphic software you`re using..once  uploaded and applied  to HUD base/root prim, arrange button prims so they follow the texture scheme, make buttons transparent and there you go....if you have a multiple page HUD, repeat for each page...this way you won`t have alpha issues and HUD will load much faster!

Hope this helps:)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, MaxMare said:

You seem to be texturing each button with a standalone texture? The easier and more efficient way to do it would be to add just one texture on the base, button textures could be arranged on top of it in PS or Gimp or whichever graphic software you`re using..once  uploaded and applied  to HUD base/root prim, arrange button prims so they follow the texture scheme, make buttons transparent and there you go....if you have a multiple page HUD, repeat for each page...this way you won`t have alpha issues and HUD will load much faster!

Hope this helps:)

This is what I do actually.. I create my HUD, set up the layout as I need and then do the buttons to transparent. It is easy and fast. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.