HTTP error 503: temporary overload or scheduled maintenance

KT Kingsley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over the last couple of weeks an HTTP server script of mine has started occasionally returning error 503:

SERVICE UNAVAILABLE

The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overload or scheduled maintenance, which will likely be alleviated after some delay.

And yes, after a few more attempts it starts responding normally.

Nothing at my end has changed between the time this never happened and the time it started.

When I move the script to a different region this doesn't happen, which solves the problem, but doesn't answer the question, why?

Are simulators or servers limited in the volume of HTTP traffic they can handle? Could there be another script (or scripts) in this region (or another region sharing the server) especially busy handling HTTP traffic?

Any ideas?

Is this a JIRA or a support ticket issue?

Perhaps relevant, from the LSL wiki:

Requests made at approx 0625 SLT may fail with a 503 status code, with "ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved", and "(111) Connection refused" in the body of the response. This has been confirmed as expected behaviour by Kelly, due to the nightly maint & log rotation. It does reliably impact object to object HTTP at that time, and quite probably may impact object to/from web around the same time. The interruption in service is fairly brief, and the precise timing may vary as LL adjust their nightly maint processes, or due to server load.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Are simulators or servers limited in the volume of HTTP traffic they can handle? Could there be another script (or scripts) in this region (or another region sharing the server) especially busy handling HTTP traffic?

Yes, there are limits.  Depending on circumstances you may get a debug channel notice when a limit is reached, or you may get this error.

Yes, competing with other scripts that are making large numbers of requests can cause this error.

As @animats said, a backoff and retry is the appropriate way to handle this.  There's an example in the wiki of a simple structure for doing these retries (it's written in terms of an initial registration of your script with an external server, but the method used is general and can be applied to any outgoing request).

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Oz.

I've fixed the issue by installing the server script in a different region.

Because restarts are a thing, I have a backup server in the other of my two parcels that kicks in when the main server doesn't respond after three failures at ten second intervals and closes down when the main server comes back online. The active server URL is saved as an experience KVP, and the client scripts read that URL and retry after a failure. Because the clients are in the same regions as the servers, their backoffs are enforced by the region's downtime.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.