What is this? Also, what does it mean?

DaphneF4L

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I wanted to know what this exactly is because I was working trying to get a script that will help with my business. I want customer to be able to click pay on an item and get the one set price and pay for it then get the item to go to that person then they open it and it is given to them. (I hope that makes sense). I tried this script and it brought up that box. I just want the Lindens to go straight to me after purchase, but taken from me...so I am highly confused on this pop up message. Please help me and I thank those in advance for any help :)

Forgot to add the script:

integer price = 10;

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetPayPrice(PAY_HIDE, [PAY_HIDE ,PAY_HIDE, PAY_HIDE, PAY_HIDE]);
        llRequestPermissions(llGetOwner(), PERMISSION_DEBIT);
    }
    run_time_permissions(integer perm)
    {
        if(perm & PERMISSION_DEBIT)
            state cash;
    }
}

state cash
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetPayPrice(price, [price ,PAY_HIDE, PAY_HIDE, PAY_HIDE]);
    }
    money(key id, integer amount)
    {
        if(amount != price)
        {
            llGiveMoney(id, amount);
            llInstantMessage(id, "You paid "+(string)amount+", which is the wrong price, the price is: "+(string)price);
        }
        else
        {
            //insert your give code here.
            llInstantMessage(id, "Thank you ! Enjoy :)");
        }
    }
}

BUy item.png

Edited by DaphneF4L

6 answers to this question

You are very wise to be cautious about using any script that displays that warning.  It is produced automatically on any script that needs your permission to take money from you.  In this case, I suspect that you are setting up a vendor that is intended to be able to refund money to the purchaser if there has been some mistake.  The vendor will not be able to make the refund without your permission.  So, as part of the setup process, it is asking you for permission.  If you are using one of the common vendor systems, like CasparVend, it's a normal part of the process.  That should have been explained in the instructions that came with the system.

However ....

If you are not using one of the major vendor scripts, I would be cautious, especially if you will not need to give any buyer a refund.  Not all scripters are careful about making their scripts secure and error free.  An error in a script that wants to take your L$ can be expensive.   Therefore, I would recommend either using one of the big commercial systems that have a good reputation for reliability, or using a vendor that does not need to offer refunds and will therefore never need to have your permission.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You are very wise to be cautious about using any script that displays that warning.  It is produced automatically on any script that needs your permission to take money from you.  In this case, I suspect that you are setting up a vendor that is intended to be able to refund money to the purchaser if there has been some mistake.  The vendor will not be able to make the refund without your permission.  So, as part of the setup process, it is asking you for permission.  If you are using one of the common vendor systems, like CasparVend, it's a normal part of the process.  That should have been explained in the instructions that came with the system.

However ....

If you are not using one of the major vendor scripts, I would be cautious, especially if you will not need to give any buyer a refund.  Not all scripters are careful about making their scripts secure and error free.  An error in a script that wants to take your L$ can be expensive.   Therefore, I would recommend either using one of the big commercial systems that have a good reputation for reliability, or using a vendor that does not need to offer refunds and will therefore never need to have your permission.

How do I use big vendor such as CasperVend ?

A system like that comes with a well-written set of instructions for doing all sorts of magic.  If you follow instructions, it's not hard at all.  If you are setting up a handful of vendors in a single shop, a system like that may be more fancy (and more expensive) than you need.  If that's the case, if I were you, I would look instead for a smaller system that cannot make refunds.

Hi @DaphneF4L

Your script uses the llRequestPermissions(PERMISSION_DEBIT) LSL function.  This function requests permssion to access the account of the object owner.   It is a useful function, and it is found in the scripts of vendors, some tipjars, and some games...anything that needs to be able to offer refunds, or to share income with more than one person.  When you rez a fresh CasperVend device, it will ask for this permission.

However, this function is also used by a number of very nasty scam items.  If someone gives you something, and you see this notice when you wear it or rez it, and you aren't expecting it...DO NOT click "Allow".  If you do, you have given the object permission to take all the money from your $L account.

If you can explain a little more about what you are trying to do with your script, we (by "we", I mean "Rolig", because she is the scripter, not me) may be able to help you.  Just explain what you want to have happen...do you want a customer to buy something, and then be able to give that thing to another person?

I want a Customer let’s say for example Sam. I want Sam to walk into my business buy an item and be able to simply take the item with them. Once Sam gets home the item will open once rezzed out.

I want the item to be a specific amount of Lindens such just plain and simple 50 Ls.

Edited by DaphneF4L

If that is all that you want to do, you don't need any script at all.  All that you need to do is put your object into a prim box and set the properties of the box to sell its contents.  Read this Knowledge Base article 

You can make your box as simple as you like, or you can put a texture on the outside -- perhaps a photo of the thing that you are selling.  Once you have set its properties, the box is a vendor, the simplest, easiest vendor you can make.  I suggest practicing a bit before you set a vendor out for other people to use.  Follow the instructions in that article, make a vendor, and have your alt or a friend test it to see that you have done it right.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Cleaner wording
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.