Scaling avi?

kiramanell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Something remotely similar is already done by a few bdsm furniture, as much as i know. When you sit on, your avatar gets wildly shaken for a few seconds and after you seem to be better aligned than before. But thats just about how you are placed on that bed/chair/device.
Doing the same with avatar animations itself would require a script whats able to alter SL animations live and on the fly, depending on the avatar shape. As much as i know, there is no way to do that.
Would could work though, is to upload 3 slightly different versions of the same animation (Its not an easy task to create one single animation, dont even want to think about multiple ones) and then a script selects the one what fits best for the given avatar height.
But still, then the clever script doesnt know how the other avatar looks like (imaging a hugging scene), and the arms of the avatar still will poke through the back of the other.

What cant be done technically, has to be fixed by roleplay :)

I've often thought...wouldn't it be best to just create couple avatar mesh bodies that are designed to fit together?  

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Edit In:  Also, if you are "floating" what you need to do is adjust your HOVER HEIGHT.  Right click on your avatar and choose APPEARANCE and then HOVER HEIGHT and moving the hover height slider to the right or left will adjust your avatar into the proper height for standing/sitting/etc.  Is this what you are talking about by floating?  

Thx for your post.

No, with 'floating' I meant having to float as a result of being able to reach the kitchen counter. :) (For the anims to work correctly, like when I'm cutting vegitables or something).

On the subject of hover height, the Firestorm team keeps telling me not to adjust the height via the avi shape settings in 'Appearance.' I'm not entirely sure why actually, as it helps not having to adjust this, every time I switch avis), save to say doing so via QuickPrefs gives you a much finer granularity.

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

Thx for your post.

No, with 'floating' I meant having to float as a result of being able to reach the kitchen counter. :) (For the anims to work correctly, like when I'm cutting vegitables or something).

On the subject of hover height, the Firestorm team keeps telling me not to adjust the height via the avi shape settings in 'Appearance.' I'm not entirely sure why actually, as it helps not having to adjust this, every time I switch avis), save to say doing so via QuickPrefs gives you a much finer granularity.

Okay...I thought maybe you were floating in the air because your hover height was putting your avatar too high up in the air.  

Next, I just spoke with the Firestorm team inworld and they say there is no difference between using APPEARANCE and then HOVER HEIGHT and the QUICK PREFS.  So, I wouldn't put too much thought into it like you'll be voo-doo cursed or anything lol.  They both are just tools that move your avatar into the proper height while cutting vegetable, sitting in a chair, etc...instead of having to use the x, y z menu which is pain!   

and, p.s.  Those of you who said MOST AVI'S HAVE THEIR ARMS TOO SHORT ARE CORRECT.  Arms need to be longer for animations to work better.  In rl, my arms are halfway down my leg.  I have very long arms in rl and so does my avi. 

Most avi's in SL won't have arms long enough to perform the below animation because their arms are too short.  Lengthening the arms can help a lot.  (Sorry, my avi looks goofy...it's a goof off day for me.)

Snapshot_145.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, kiramanell said:

I'm such a moonbrain, LOL. In this case, the kitchen island in question is actually designed (on purpose?) with a rim below, so you can lower it a bit. :) I may need to adjust the kitchen stools too, as food is getting rezzed too high now when I sit on one. Kitchen sink (to the right) is going to be harder, as there are baked shadows on the wall. I may need to get creative on that one. 😛 

Snapshot_001_002.thumb.jpg.0a1e899fee04fb0d6ef70314ece57e3a.jpg

Oh, just wanted to say that the kitchen is cute!  I hope you can work with the shadows. You can turn some of the shadows on transparent also if they just won't fit and if they are separate item.  You need to use the edit linked feature and isolate each shadow to turn it transparent which I don't have time to explain right now, but maybe you already know what I am talking about.  

And, I just wanted to say, as far as head size as you mentioned in your OP, my head size changes from camera angle (fish eye) problems as well as our head size looks different from flat to high feet for instance.  

Here, you have flat feet, could that have been why suddenly you seemed to have an over-sized head?

However, your head size and body shape looks pretty well proportioned to me here....but, I am almost always saying...my head's too big, my head's too small...so I know the feeling.  I don't know what it is with mesh heads and bodies.  Sometimes the head just looks too big and other times it just looks too small and I just live with it.

It is fun to start using animations in SL.  I have all drinking anime's in all my chairs cuz it's fun!  

EDIT TO ADD:  Also, if items are not resizing it's most likely because one or more of the objects was not set to Phantom.  If it's copy/mod you can make a copy and paste a copy into your folder.  Then, unlink the whole thing and turn each object to Phantom and then relink it.  Just a thought.  This process can be used for many modify items you may purchase not necessarily this one.  Often, it is the shadows that were not set to Phantom and although it looks like all baked on shadows, there could be several shadow prims in there that were added later that are the problem source and these are what need to either be taken out or set Phantom.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh, just wanted to say that the kitchen is cute!  I hope you can work with the shadows. You can turn some of the shadows on transparent also if they just won't fit and if they are separate item.  You need to use the edit linked feature and isolate each shadow to turn it transparent which I don't have time to explain right now, but maybe you already know what I am talking about.  

And, I just wanted to say, as far as head size as you mentioned in your OP, my head size changes from camera angle (fish eye) problems as well as our head size looks different from flat to high feet for instance.  

Here, you have flat feet, could that have been why suddenly you seemed to have an over-sized head?

However, your head size and body shape looks pretty well proportioned to me here....but, I am almost always saying...my head's too big, my head's too small...so I know the feeling.  I don't know what it is with mesh heads and bodies.  Sometimes the head just looks too big and other times it just looks too small and I just live with it.

It is fun to start using animations in SL.  I have all drinking anime's in all my chairs cuz it's fun!  

EDIT TO ADD:  Also, if items are not resizing it's most likely because one or more of the objects was not set to Phantom.  If it's copy/mod you can make a copy and paste a copy into your folder.  Then, unlink the whole thing and turn each object to Phantom and then relink it.  Just a thought.  This process can be used for many modify items you may purchase not necessarily this one.  Often, it is the shadows that were not set to Phantom and although it looks like all baked on shadows, there could be several shadow prims in there that were added later that are the problem source and these are what need to either be taken out or set Phantom.  

Awww, thx for liking my kitchen. ❤️

In my particular case, I just lowered the kitchen island (which, as I outlined, was possible because it has a convenient rim at the bottom that allows for easy height adjustment). Eventually I changed it back, though, as lowering the kitchen sink (opposite to it) would be nearly impossible, as there are all kinds of baked shadows on the wall behind it). Just resizing my avi to 1.8m seemed the best solution.

In the above image you quoted, the avi wasn't scaled yet, btw. But yes, wearing the boots, instead of heels, actually does make me less tall. :) Probably just the ca. 10cm I was missing, LOL).

On 8/18/2019 at 1:21 AM, FairreLilette said:

I've often thought...wouldn't it be best to just create couple avatar mesh bodies that are designed to fit together?  

Actually thats easy to achieve. Lets say you got a partner way taller than you. As soon as both of you to agree to grow and to shrink to meet in the middle, you should have a pretty decent fit. Not sure if someone would buy a meshbody and shape, where you cant alter anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Actually thats easy to achieve. Lets say you got a partner way taller than you. As soon as both of you to agree to grow and to shrink to meet in the middle, you should have a pretty decent fit. Not sure if someone would buy a meshbody and shape, where you cant alter anything.

yep, yep, yep...said the same thing here 

Me:  "For couples, it's best to try to "fit" your avatars, adjust them, and compromise a bit." 

My one SL relationship was very short.  I mostly work (build) here.  But, I told him we need to change our shapes because we cannot even hug, I would go thru his chest.

But, we never had a kiss like the one in the pic below.  How long does it take to get that close?  I assumed those two avi's in the pic below worked on it quite awhile.

But, don't ask me...I am happily single, doing whatever I want, whenever I want after a very long RL relationship ended.  I love being single for now.  It's a breath of fresh air to me and FREEDOM!  

kiss (2).jpg

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

But, we never had a kiss like the one in the pic below.  How long does it take to get that close?  I assumed those two avi's in the pic below worked on it quite awhile.

For a pic, where you just can see the heads, just adjust the hover height. No one will ever notice if her feet are floating 10 inches above ground.

Changing the Avatar height is a matter of 10 seconds, already including pressing the save button.
(Well, altering several neecssary body parts to match the new height, might take more time. Lot of folks forget to adjust head and hand size, for example)

28 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

For a pic, where you just can see the heads, just adjust the hover height. No one will ever notice if her feet are floating 10 inches above ground.

Changing the Avatar height is a matter of 10 seconds, already including pressing the save button.
(Well, altering several neecssary body parts to match the new height, might take more time. Lot of folks forget to adjust head and hand size, for example)

Yeah, it was the girth that was the problem:  He was an XL and I was an XS.  So, it depends how much you want to change.  I didn't want to ask him to change too much and I didn't want him to ask me to change too much.  It was awkward enough suggesting we need to change our avi's to fit as I said we could not even hug.  But, we changed a bit and it was working better, better but not great.

If I could have, I would have preferred shapes pre-designed for a hetero couple simply because I'm doing tons of other things and time is limited and I enjoy SL photography when time permits. 

Hover height for a photo though is not really what I was after if coupling in SL.  You want to be able to kiss when you want to kiss and have it match.

Perhaps making a ruler and placing it against the wall and then standing your avi's there could help.   

Edited by FairreLilette

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

If I could have, I would have preferred shapes pre-designed for a hetero couple simply because I'm doing tons of other things and time is limited and I enjoy SL photography when time permits. 

But that shape would have to come in different versions fit to maitreya, TMP, ebody and all the other bodies out there. Not to mention the vast amount of mesh head used these days.To me it sounds like thats never ever going to happen.

Its way more convenient to create an alt, just for that purpose. You have all the time you need to bend and stretch that avatar to make it look the way you want, and he/she will never complain, if the photo session takes more than one hour.

14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Perhaps making a ruler and placing it against the wall and then standing your avi's there could help.   

You just need to read your size displayed at the top of the menu, when editing your shape.
Or get one of these :)
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avatar-Height-Scale/1789002
Just not sure, if its a nice decoration for a home ^^

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

But that shape would have to come in different versions fit to maitreya, TMP, ebody and all the other bodies out there. Not to mention the vast amount of mesh head used these days.To me it sounds like thats never ever going to happen.

Its way more convenient to create an alt, just for that purpose. You have all the time you need to bend and stretch that avatar to make it look the way you want, and he/she will never complain, if the photo session takes more than one hour.

You just need to read your size displayed at the top of the menu, when editing your shape.
Or get one of these :)
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avatar-Height-Scale/1789002
Just not sure, if its a nice decoration for a home ^^

I'm not sure what you mean by read your size displayed at the top of the menu in the shape editor because the men's slider is different because I've made shapes.  Well, the men one's I never used or sold because I started doing other things.  

So, are the men's sliders different from the women's or not?

I will check later.  

I think the man shapes I made start way taller....I just cannot remember.  

Yeah, that ruler thing looks like a good idea.  It's a start.  But again, his arms were way too short that our hands never touched when dancing and stuff.  

It's a bit of a hassle.

I won't be making fitting couple shapes any time soon either cuz I've been through a big build and I need a break from building for awhile. 

p.s. And, the shapes I made were kind of supposed to be for couples but they were for Classic only.  I was trying to make an ancient Albino people.  This was when I first started SL.  I did not have anything mesh then.  I still don't have a male mesh head nor body that I could use for shapes.  But, yeah, I remember the men were way taller on the sliders.  For instance, if you make a woman at the tallest and a man at the tallest, they are very different heights.  

EDIT:  And, also it's body that needs to fit if shapes were ever made.  The face you can make your own by simply copying down from the slider's the body shape measurements and changing your shape to those numbers and that way you'd keep your face.  If that makes sense.  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 8/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, frankjwilson said:

I would eagerly get a faster connection if it allow me to have better SL performance. Next week, I'm scheduled to get an upgrade from 80 mbps to 300 mbps; I could have gotten 1,000 mbps, but i couldn't see a reason to have that much bandwidth. I would also happily upgrade my computer and gladly pay more for more server power, if it would improve my SL experience.

Would it be feasible for LL to offer a premium account that included better server performance? If they could, those who wanted it and were willing to pay for it could have it, and others wouldn't have to pay for it. I've wondered for years why SL didn't have better collision detection, considering how much better our experience could be if it did. If the only reason is that it would take more server power and bandwidth, then we should have the option of having it.

No... SL servers handle backend tasks like chat, finding and delivering assets, and running the region/simulator. Delivering an asset a bit faster is not a big plus. That Finding-delivering thing is mostly limited to just scene render time. A region handles everyone in the region. I can't imagine how you could have different performance for different people in the same region. 

Your Internet speed going from 80mbps to 300 is unlikely to make much difference in viewer performance. You may shave a couple of seconds off your scene render time. 

In Windows you can open the Resource Monitor and see how much network bandwidth you actually use when running an SL Viewer. Once the scene renders the bandwidth drops dramatically. Which is why the minimum requirement for SL includes DSL, which typically maxes out around 1mbps.

Improving performance in SL is complex. In general faster CPU clock speed, faster memory, and a good, modern graphics card are the best options.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, kiramanell said:

As posted earlier... there is no reason not to use 'height' within a shape. But, changing height in a shape should be more of a one time like thing. So, avatar height is set once in my shape. Then when changing shoes I often tweak height in the avatar's right-click menu.

4 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

But, don't ask me...I am happily single, doing whatever I want, whenever I want after a very long RL relationship ended.  I love being single for now.  It's a breath of fresh air to me and FREEDOM!  

kiss (2).jpg

Getting this type of kiss is not that hard. The AVSitter furniture I own I set to me. Then save those settings and make a set of default settings to use if the furniture has to be reset for any reason. Per individual pose it takes 1 to 5 minutes. For furniture with hundreds of poses that can get tedious. But, if they make the furniture well then you only need to adjust one pose and then save the offset for all poses. The problem is I find few items are made that well.

With a regular lover you can include his settings too. If you are promiscuous... well it can get tedious... in more ways than just setting poses.

To simplify things, I don't hook up with giants or tinies or with people having genitals bigger than me.

To understand AVSitter pose adjustments you have to understand the X adjustment is East (positive) and West (negative) and Y is N(+) and S(-). Open the mini-map them move the camera to look along either the N~S or E~W axis and it is easy to tell what to click to move the avatars correctly.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.