You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,
I'm newish at sim decorating.  My multi level sim is nearing completion, but I'm worried about lag.  I'd like to invite anyone (that wants to) have a wander around, or point me to a tutorial as I need to learn how to find things that may cause my lag other than too much prim use.  A friend gets booted when in the Old Town area, but not on other areas.  I have read about settings on Firestorm and/or my computer, I'm hoping to help the experience of the visitor as much as possible.
The sim has teleport balls to get around, and here are two slurls.

Old Town Area
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Adagio Breeze/163/121/2891

Winterland Area
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Adagio Breeze/165/99/1202

Thank you

Edited by Jks Beck

Textures are often an important and often overlooked cause of lag. When there are too many textures, especially high resolution (1024x1024) textures, the viewer has to render tr and present your graphics card with all these textures, but if that exceeds your graphics memory, the viewer tries to swap out textures one after another, causing delays in the rendering which we experience as lag.

So lower the number of textures used and that will be a first step.

Also, high-polygon mesh can be hard on the viewer, so make sure that you don't have a 2000 LI flower somewhere (just picking a number out of thin air here)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Here's another article I wrote that I hope is helpful for sim builders:

https://pennycow.blogspot.com/2018/08/simple-performance-tricks-anyone-can-do.html

How is it that this helps, I'm giving it a shot, but what does it do exactly, change how it loads in the computer's video?  Sorry I'm a bit ignorant to this.

36 minutes ago, Jks Beck said:

How is it that this helps, I'm giving it a shot, but what does it do exactly, change how it loads in the computer's video?  Sorry I'm a bit ignorant to this.

If you're asking about the alpha blending/masking thing (there's 3 things in the article), the difference between them is pretty literal.

Alpha blending literally combines the colors of any transparent surfaces to calculate the final color of the pixel. This is a relatively slow process.

Alpha masking literally covers anything behind it. Textures set to masking can have both fully transparent or fully solid pixels, but nothing in-between. This is much faster than blending.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.